Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Long Weekend

Hmmmmm......

Did a week go by already!? 

Scott was slated to come home last Thursday or Friday. It's not that I can't remember which day it was, he really did not know which day he was going to be able to come home. However, I was pleasantly surprised when he told me on Tuesday night that he would be coming home the next day. Even better - Thursday was Labor Day here in Singapore. So our little family of four had a four day weekend!

When Scott arrived at the house, he announced that he had a surprise for all of us. We all eagerly gathered around the table while Scott began to unload the gifts. Pirated movies from Thailand.....cool! One of the movies he brought back was "Pirates of the Caribbean III". Since Scott is the only one to have not seen the movie, we decided to make that our feature film for the evening.  TWe turn the DVD on, and the very first commercial is a montage of various thefts occurring (a purse stolen, a car broken into, etc). It then sums up by saying that buying pirated movies is the same as stealing any of the aforementioned items. We got a good laugh out of that one...not because we don't respect the law, but because the video pirates left that commercial on the DVD.  

But seriously, video theft is a very serious matter.

In order to celebrate the holiday, we decided to hit the beach on Thursday. We returned to Sentosa since it has that cool little island off the coast. I decided to not be a party-pooper this time and went immediately into the ocean to make the trek to the island with the kids. This time I came prepared for the swim....I brought goggles. As most of you know, I am blind as a bat and have to have either contacts or glasses assisting my weak eyes. Anyway, that's all fine and dandy unless one is swimming in the ocean. Anyway, I decided to try wearing goggles to see if that would not help my swimming technique. I think I looked like a total idiot. I think that if one wears goggles they should either be a child, or an athlete. Seeing as I am neither I felt like somewhat of a fool. On top of that fact, I was wearing a red bathing suit that looks like something that would come off a "Baywatch" fan sight. However, my "I've given birth to two boys and gained over 65 pounds with each" body does not meet the standards of a Baywatch body. So there I am in all my glory - white legs, stretch marks, Baywatch bathing suit, and tiny goggles. Let's go for a swim boys!!!  I think if the kids were old enough to know to be embarrassed by their mother they would have been.

We all made our way over to the island and are were hanging out on the shore.  There was a couple on the beach who were just kind of meandering around. Anyway, the girl walked up to Andrew and handed him a little hermit crab. The boys were so excited. Anyway, we wound up striking up a conversation with this couple and they turned out to be super nice. They are both teaching English in Japan and were in Singapore on holiday. We actually got along with them so well that we wound up talking for almost two hours. I think the boys would have been upset had that couple not found three more crabs for them while we were all conversing.

Friday was very interesting. Scott had read about a suspension bridge that exists somewhere in Singapore. He did a bit of research and found that the bridge was located at a reserve located near Jacob's school. We all load into the car and start to head north - Scott is driving and I am navigating via the map. We cannot find a direct road which takes us to the reserve, so we wind up parking on the main road outside of the reserve. In order to get to the reserve we had to walk down a very long road. The walk would not have been so bad had there been some trees, or maybe some clouds in the sky.....basically any type of shade. But no. It was a very long walk down a paved road with the sun baring down on us. The only thing of interest was that mid-way down the road was what looked like a rejected spaceship from Tomorrowland and Disney. It was an observation tower that went up a whopping four stories. The boys really wanted to go to the top, but we were worried they would not have enough energy to make it to the bridge. Being the mean parents we are, we would not allow them to go in the spaceship observation tower.  We finally finished the mile long walk down the desolate road and arrived at a jungle.  No paths, no trail markers, just jungle. We find a worker at some restrooms nearby and ask how to get to the the suspension bridge. Turns out we need to get in our car and head to a different reserve. Whoops! Hey kids! Let's go check out that cool spaceship thing down the road! See...there was some insight in forbidding them to go in it sooner; it gave them an incentive to head back down that long treacherous road again.

On the drive home from the "walk", Andrew suddenly bolts up and announces that he is going to throw up. Scott immediately hands Andrew his baseball cap. Umm, okay? I pull Andrew into the front seat with me (we were almost home and the same laws do no apply here in Singapore) and turned the cold air on his face. When we got home, we settled Andrew on the couch and gave him a bucket to use if necessary. I left the room for  moment, and came back in to find Andrew asleep, cuddling with the bucket. After his short nap, he woke up an announced again that he needed to throw up. He leaned over the bucket and painfully spat into it. When I realized that was all the throw up action we were going to see, I attempted to take the bucket from Andrew. He would not relinquish control. He spent the next 30 hours using the bucket as his own personal spittoon. Seriously, I don't get him sometimes.

Yesterday, Jacob was back in school while Andrew had another vacation day. I only mention this because they would have happily switched places. Andrew and I did some fabric shopping that afternoon and had a lunch date at McDonald's.  From the moment Jacob got off the bus, the boys wrestled non-stop until Scott got home from work when he joined in on the wrestling match. I finally had to break things up so we could eat dinner. Andrew would not eat and said he did not feel good. He looked rather pale and was running a slight fever. We put him to bed only to have him wake up an hour later a very sad boy. We [ut him in our room to see if he would sleep  a little better. 

Since Scott and I had not had the chance to do anything during the day, we decided to start watching "Juno" quietly with Andrew asleep in our bed. About fifteen minutes into the movie he totally wakes up and gives us both a huge hug. He watched the movie for about one minute then said, "I don't like these bad words. I want to go in my bed." I think the only word that had been used in that time frame was "pregnant", but that was enough to send Andrew packing. 

This morning Jacob had PJ day at school. PJ day is great, except for the fact that one is always terrified that they have dressed up on the wrong day. As Jacob and I were approaching the bus, every other child was dressed in their school uniform. Just as I started to feel the sweat on my back, another kid stepped out from behind a tree with her PJs on. Thank heavens!

I was planning on keeping Andrew home from school since he had a fever the night before. I came home and told him that he was spending the day with me. Andrew burst into tears, went into his room, and came out wearing his uniform. I told him again that he could not go because he was sick. Again, I was met with tears. I finally decided that I would allow him to go for the second half of the day. I am sure the teacher was very annoyed when I showed up at the school after telling him three hours previously that my child was sick. I informed him that Andrew had only had the fever the night before and he had been fine all morning. When Andrew got home from school I asked how he was feeling. He told me that he had to go see the nurse because he had a fever. If I was Andrew's teacher I would be so bugged with me right now.

This afternoon I went to a friend's house to learn how to quilt. She broke out the loom and everything. It was very exciting. I am now feeling very official as a quilter (not really) and my fingers are nice and sore to prove it!

No comments: