After about 30 minutes of small talk, the other players slowly began to trickle into the room. I soon notice that I am the only person with a can of soda; everyone else has come with a glass of wine. We all gather around a table to socialize and I wind up next to Sophia (at least that's what I think she said her name was). Sophia has come with her very own bottle of wine, half of which she had already drunk prior to her arrival. From our conversation I discovered that she is from New Zealand and she loves to drink. She spent the whole time telling me that she can drink whenever she wants because she is over forty. She then gave me a full run down of her drinking schedule during the day. I must say, I was impressed that any one person could put down that much of any type of liquid in 24 hours. By the time we got around to playing, Sophia's speech was heavy slurred and she had already spilled her wine on the white table cloth. I was hoping to distance myself from good, old Sophia once the games began, but we kept winding up at the same table. It was so hard trying to keep Sophia focused on the game. She kept wanting to slur (talk) and we had to keep reminding her to roll her dice. The best part was when she was telling me about all the great designer clothes one can buy in Singapore...which of course brought my immediate attention to what she was wearing. Sophia had on a lime green baby doll top, with a black Calvin Klein sports bra underneath. (I only know it was Calvin Klein because it was embroidered around the trim of the sports bra). A very interesting look I might say, but then again, I am not very up on the current fashion trends.
Alright, I am a mean, awful person...I must move on to more positive things. But honestly, Sophia was my favorite part of the evening. I even enjoyed the fact that she couldn't even write her full name on her score card. All she had was an "S" that started off normal, but then the bottom half of it slid down to the bottom of the paper. Okay, okay, I am done talking about it.
The past few days have been spent at home with Andrew. He has not been able to shake the fever he started running this past Sunday. On Tuesday night, I went to bed with a sore throat. Not a good sign. Every time I get sick, it always starts with a sore throat. Well, I woke up Wednesday feeling as if I had been run over by a bus. So Andrew and I spent the whole day in bed watching High School Musical 2. Scott said he would take care of dinner since I wasn't feeling well. At 6:45pm he came into our bedroom with the laptop asking what I would like from McDonald's....we were getting delivery! (Yes, here in Singapore you can order food online from McDonald's, put in your credit card, and the food arrives in thirty minutes). For some bizarre reason I order the Filet O' Fish. Why I ordered the F O' F is a complete mystery even to me. I had been feeling nauseous all day and I chose a deep fried item slathered with a mayo based product and cheese. I was about half way through my filet, when I realized I had made a huge error. I don't know if I will ever be able to eat a Filet O' Fish again.
This afternoon it seemed as if Andrew was finally turning the corner. I was excited at the prospect of having the whole family up and running and healthy again. At 4pm I went to pick up Jacob from his after school cartoon drawing class. He slowly meandered to the car while telling me how he had a headache all day. The second we got home he laid down on the floor and fell asleep (not a good sign for a very active seven year old boy). I felt his forehead while he was resting only to find he was very warm. I decided to let him rest while I prepared dinner. When I came back in the room, Andrew had covered Jacob in giant legos. I don't know why Andrew did that, but he thought his older brother would enjoy being part of a lego castle in his sleep. I told Andrew that is not nice to do when someone isn't feeing well.
So....tomorrow....Andrew is back in school and Jacob will be taking his first sick day ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment