Monday, April 28, 2008

Stratled

I am trying to do a better job of writing more frequently - I think I am improving  a bit.

Well, today I finally decided to cash in on the birthday present Scott got me in January. The gift: a gift certificate to a spa here in Singapore. I have been hanging onto this thing as an incentive to lose weight. However, I was forced into using it prematurely because it is set to expire in two days. I went over the pamphlet and finally decided on the full body massage and facial. (Both were 90 minutes each)! Needless to say, I woke this morning very eager for my three hours of pampering.

I got to the spa and was given a form to fill out. I thought I was at the doctor's office. I was asked for my name, age, passport number, blood type, height, weight, and age. (No...this is not an exaggeration). I then had to fill out an entire page on my lifestyle choices. "Do you drink? Do you smoke? Do you exercise regularly? Do you maintain a healthy size and weight?" All right..on that last question...by whose standards to I answer that question? In the US I think I would be considered normal. Here, I feel like an elephant.

After finishing my paperwork I was lead into my parlor room. They offered for me to take a shower before the massage. Actually,  don't know if it was an offer or a request - but I had just scrubbed myself down at home before to got to the spa. I told her I already took a shower and the girl seemed taken off guard. She said, "Okay, just take off your clothes and put on the robe." For those of you who have had a massage, you generally change into a robe for the session. (Not my favorite thing the world, but part of the process). So, I have on my robe when the girl comes back into the room and she immediately takes it from me. AWKWARD!!!  I quickly hop into the bed so I can cover up with the sheets. 

The massage begins with her working on my feet.  It was awesome! She worked on my feet and legs for about 30 minutes and then moved up to my shoulders and back. Alright, I have had a massage before and they generally just go around the bed working on different parts of you body. Well, there I am, very relaxed (and also very vulnerable in my birthday suit)  when all of a sudden, massage lady is hopping onto the bed. I was dozing off until I felt her knee in my side, and then all her weight to the left of me. She swings her other leg over me and starts massaging my back. Hmmm, this is bizarre. Saying I was "uncomfortable" would be an understatement.  All I could think the entire time was that thank heavens this wasn't a male masseuse - I would have a heck of a time trying to explain this to Scott. 

Besides the "strattling incident" the whole experience was fantastic. I felt completely rejuvenated when I got out. I handed the girl at the desk my gift certificate and told her that I owed more than the amount on the certificate. She went to calculate how much I owed and then returned with the bill. I open my purse to get my wallet and .... HOLY CRAP! Where is my wallet!? After the initial panic I realized that I had left it in my church bag from yesterday.  Great! I am in this high end spa, trying to act coy, and I don't have any money to pay my bill. I apologize profusely to the girl and tell her I can run home to get my wallet and come back. Shockingly, she took me on my word and told me not to worry; that I could come back tomorrow or mail a check. When I walked out of the spa I wondered how that would have turned out had I been in the U.S.

Well, on to every day life. Scott left for Thailand yesterday. The boys were not too thrilled that he had to leave again. Luckily he gets to stay home for a few weeks before he has to head off again. 

I keep forgetting to mention our new neighbor that moved into our neighborhood. He lives outside. His home is a web and he is the biggest freaking spider I have ever seen in my life. This guys dwarfs any type of tarantula. The thing is a little larger than the size of my hand with my fingers spread out (though not as thick). The boys like it when I throw sticks into his web because he darts over to attack them. It is kind of funny to watch. He starts to wrap the stick, then realizing it is not food, he throws it out of his web. I am worried that one day the spider will recognize us and jump out to attack when we throw something at his home. You may wonder why I am not bothered by seeing said spider living next to our building. Well, I must say, I am grateful every time I walk by and see him happily in his home. The day I will get upset is the day he moves out and I am unsure of his whereabouts. When he is in the web I know where he is!

The past few days have been unbearably hot. No rain. No clouds. Just blue skies, humidity, and high temps. I don't think I have ever sweat so much in my life. When I am standing outside talking to people I can literally feel the sweat dripping down my back. So nasty! All the Americans walk around with sweaty shirts. It looks like we are all doing manual labor when all we have done is just walk outside. I hope it cools down - thought I think that is impossible.


2 comments:

forget laundry said...

hey you! I didn't know you were a blogger! I haven't read yet- I was just excited to comment and say hey- I will read the scoop in just a minute. but! I hope you are happy and doing well! we are just about to make our blog private- so If you want I can send you an invite. let me know! love hillary

Mom of Four said...

Hilarious!! And very awkward! You never miss an adventure.