Sunday, May 11, 2008

Puff the Magic Dragon

The past few days have entailed me laying in bed feeling miserable. Jacob and I did stay home on Friday while Andrew went to school. About half way through the day, Scott called and asked if I thought Jacob would be up to seeing Ironman later that evening. Since Jacob's illness was maintaining at just a fever, I thought the movie would be fine. 

That evening, Scott and I should have been nominated "the bad parenting" award for the week. We were informed by someone who will remain anonymous (but they did supply all my DNA) that the movie would be fine for my four and seven year old. Besides the violent war scenes, a graphic operation, a minor torture scene, the couple humping in bed, and scantily clad women pole dancing...yeah, it was great for my little guys. Next time we will preview the flick before taking the kids. I am sure I would have enjoyed the movie if I had seen it without my little guys, or if they were a bit older. To add to the experience, Jacob was almost convulsing because he was so cold. We actually wound up leaving the movie early because of all the circumstances. Even when we got out into the 85 degree weather, Jacob was still shivering. Okay, so the night did not go as well as expected.

Yesterday I spent a majority of the day in bed. Scott had a business party we had to attend that evening and I was trying my best to recover enough to not humiliate him.  After sleeping on and off until 4pm, I realized I still had to get together some pictures of the Nursery kids for Mother's Day. I quickly burned a CD with the pics, and asked Scott if he wanted me to grab him a sandwich while I was out. I quickly ran over to the Kodak place, sweating all the while due to my illness. I went to pull the pictures off the CD to find that there was only one picture on the dang thing. Crap! The place closed in 30 minutes and there was no possible way for me to get home and back in time. I decided to give up on the Mother's Day photos and left. However, right before I walked out I made a last minute decision to buy a re-writable CD for any future pictures. It was cash only, so I paid my four bucks and then went to get the aforementioned sandwiches. I ordered our food and whipped out my card to pay. "Sorry, we only take cash." The total was $18.80 and I had $17 in bills in my purse (stupid re-writable CD). I hand over my bills and start emptying out my change. I added a dollar coin to my total. I then found four nickels and five dimes scattered through my wallet and the bottom of my purse. I am thinking the chick is going to take pity on my and wave the last ten cents. Instead she is standing there with her hand out. I tell her I need to run to my car to get the rest of the money. (Again, hoping for that pity thing). On my way to the car I was seized by a major coughing/sneezing attack. I found the last ten cents in my cup holder and headed back upstairs. I handed her the money - hoping  she got some of my germs. (Just kidding). 

Alright, the time comes for us to go to this party. It was not technically a work party - just one of Scott's co-workers at Chevron was having a thing at his house and we were invited. Right before we left I took as many drugs as possible in hopes of making myself look and sound relatively healthy. By the time we got to their apartment I was capable of breathing through my nose. Success! 

The best part about the party was the middle aged, over- weight brown noser wearing a Hawaiian shirt (not a Chevron employee) who was running around with a bong trying to impress the hosting co-worker. I know I am not cool enough to understand the bong thing. I understand they can be used for beer and other "medicinal" things. Anyway, this guy was making such a point of trying to get the bong up and running it was comical. About 45 minutes after we arrived the bong was up and in use. I felt like I was at a high school party - except everyone was old and deeply unattractive. 

I will spare you the details of the rest of the party, but...I have to mention the old, fat guy who kept trying to touch (hold) my hand every time I was using it to talk. It was bizarre. I folded my arms in order to avoid his contact, but then remembered that is offensive for some middle eastern cultures for one to fold their arms. So my arms got uncrossed and I had to focus on not using my hands while conversing (very hard for me). The thought of his soft, doughy hands still makes me nauseous. I will chalk it up to his being a bit inebriated. Hopefully he got some of my germs too!

By the time we left the party I had completely lost my voice and could not breathe through my nose again. I went to sleep with a tissue up my right nostril.  

This morning was Mother's Day. I cannot recall another time in my life when I have been so congested. I awoke this morning almost incapable of breathing. The whole time I was at church I kept sniffling and sneezing. I am sure those around me were totally bugged. Jacob gave a talk in Primary, and did a fantastic job. I was so proud of him. He wrote half of it all by himself. Seriously, he just sat down (yesterday) and without any help composed the conclusion of his talk. Since he was not feeling so hot either, we both went home after he spoke. For lunch I made waffles. I thoroughly enjoyed their texture since I could not taste them. 

Scott left for Thailand an hour ago. Not the best way to end Mother's Day...but I am happy and love my family like crazy. Right before he went to the airport I was given all my cards and gifts from the boys. It was great. I hope all you moms out there had a fantastic day!

2 comments:

Eva and Joey said...

Poor Catherine!!! I hope you feel better soon because you have to start training for that ultra marathon we're going to do this summer....50 miles...we're so there!!!

Eva and Joey said...

Just wanted to say that I love you and I miss you!! I can't wait to see you this summer! I love how even the miles from singapore to st. cloud don't make me feel any further away than from Miami Lakes to Miami Gardens!