Another funny Singapore-ism. For those of you who attended BYU, you will love this since "Police Beat" was a favorite of most students. Well, Singapore has its own version of Police Beat - it is a an entire section of the newspaper where citizens can publicly flog other residents of the country. Civilians can submit photos of others breaking the law (these photos also come with an explanation of the law being broken with the photographer's personal comments). For example, one picture was of an expat woman clipping her nails on the subway. The caption went on to say, "An expat woman thoughtlessly clips her nails in public. How disgusting of her to leave her clippings all over the place." Another photo was of a man laying down on the subway. Asians find feet very disgusting, and so this caption went on about the filth this man was creating by putting his dirty feet on the subway chair. (Mind you, all the chairs on the subway are plastic - not an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.)
Remember: Big Brother is watching.....
On to family life.....
Scott is back in Thailand. He called last night and during the conversation he mentioned two very funny things. (1) He cannot find the movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" anywhere because the Thai government has cracked down on bootlegged movies. Later on the in the conversation, Scott was telling my how an entire ship of American sailors is on leave in Pattaya. I think the phrase Scott used was, "There are 6,000 sailors running amuck over here." (You can all imagine what that means.) It was then that I came up with a new slogan for Thailand: It's immoral to buy/sell bootlegged movies, but prostitution is just fine.
As most of you know, I hate exercising. I now have definitive proof that exercise hates me back. Since I have three weeks until my return to the Motherland (and I look exactly the same as when I left), I decided that I would run five miles a day, five days a week. On Tuesday I ran/walked my five miles. The next day, I was determined to run the whole time. At about four and a half miles I realized my big toe on my left foot as killing me. I got home and removed my shoe and sock to discover that MY TOENAIL IS FALLING OFF!!!! I thought that only happened when one runs a marathon or something. I am terrified of having a bald big toe for my summer visit, so all exercise is on hold until I can be sure that I can keep the nail intact; about one-third of it is still connected to the skin and I don't want to aggravate it further by running again. I was so mad that I ate two huge pieces of chocolate cake to calm myself down. So not only do I have the potential ugliest big toe in the world, but within five minutes I tacked on all the calories I had just burned during my five mile run. I give up!
With Scott being gone, the boys and I have gotten into a nightly routine where I make a huge bowl of popcorn that we all share while we watch about 45 minutes of a movie. It's a nice little tradition for the three off us.
Well, I better get back to scrubbing down the house. I have two hours until Jacob is to take my on his Student Lead Conference. He gets to take me to all his classrooms and show me all he has learned/done during the school year. I cannot wait to go - an neither can Jacob. Every five minutes he asks me if it is time to leave. No son. Here's a broom, why don't you help Mommy clean while you wait!
3 comments:
Catherine -- I'm so excited you'll be back in the states. Are you coming to CA? Let us know when. We'd love to get together. By the way, if someone inspected my house right now...let's just say that would not be a good idea. :)
You're toe is not sounding too good...I've lost two nails from running and if you only have 1/3 holding on, I think it's a goner! You might want to visit a running specialty store either here or in Miami over Summer. The one here is called Track Shack and I will never get my running shoes from anywhere else! They look at the way you run and your arch and show you shoes that are just for your foot. There is one in Miami that my dad went to, I'll have to look up the name. I wear a shoe size
9 1/2 and at Track Shack they sized me in running shoes as an 11!!! I couldn't believe the difference it made having the extra room for my toes...so you might need bigger shoes....anyway, I love you!!!
Heheheh, here it's not considered gross to pick your nose in public. I'll be talking to someone, and they'll start digging mid-sentence, then want shake hands goodbye. Fun... We're looking forward to returning to the US this summer. I'm mostly looking forward to the food, and I'll be able to blame the weight gain on the baby. Last summer, I didn't have that excuse.
Post a Comment