Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thrashed

The term exhausted does not even begin to capture my current state of being. I feel as if I am in some kind of dream-like existence. Since Scott left on Sunday, I have yet to have one good night's rest. The first night I did not get to bed until 1am. Monday night, I fared a little better and was in bed by midnight...but found myself completely incapable of falling asleep. An hour later I discovered that Andrew had decided to join me. However, his constant moving kept me awake for another half an hour. I fell asleep at some point, because I was arisen at 3am by a phone call from a telemarketer. I love when they call in the middle of the night because my inhibitions are gone and I can be as rude as I like because I have a good excuse. 

My main purpose in writing today's entry is because of what happened this evening; I think I met the world's rudest little girl. I have a friend who has four kids, is expecting a baby, and is moving in a month and a half. (Brutal). Anyway, I asked if her kids could come over after school (in hopes of helping her out a bit). They all stayed here for about two hours, running around, yelling, and basically having a great time. I had brownies ready when they came, and then had a "popcorn picnic" while they watched some cartoons. When it was time for them to leave I was thrashed, both mentally and physically. We all decided to walk to their house (which takes about 15 - 20 minutes). Since I had six kids with me ranging from ages 3 to 10, I asked that no one run ahead and we all stay together. Well, this little girl immediately takes off running. I am trying to hold on to the three year old and keep calling for her to stop. When I get to the top of a huge flight of stairs, she is no where to be seen. The other kids tell me that she has gone on ahead on to the street. I hurry as fast as I can (seeing as I am holding the hand of said three year old and it is raining). I see her up ahead and scream at the top of my lungs for her to stop. She looks right at me, shrugs her shoulders, and skips (yes, skips) into the street. This time I screamed so loudly for her to stop that I now have a sore throat. When I finally catch up to her she says, "What?" 

We make our way into their apartment building and the same girl tells me, "I don't want to go to your house again." I think by this point I was so tired that I did not even respond. She goes on to say, " You want me to tell you why. Here are the reasons: Your house is to cramped. I don't like homes with stairs. Your Band-Aids don't stick (she demanded I provide her with a Band-Aid for a scar on her foot). Your popcorn tastes bad. I don't like how high up you are......." She was still going on when her mother opened the door to welcome them home. I think there were a few more insults loaded in her complaint, but I have chosen to block them out. What a delightful child! 

Right now Andrew is drawing pictures of daisies with frowny faces. He recently discovered that I threw away a flower he picked over three weeks ago and is thoroughly upset with me. He is now cutting out said drawings and handing me a picture of a flower at a time. I think it will take at least three days until I am completely forgiven.

Well, I better get the kids ready for bed. I could fall asleep myself. HOWEVER, being the crazy person that I am, I offered to make a quilt for Jacob's teacher for the end of the year. I can do the piecing myself, but need help with the actual quilting. I found someone at church who said she could help me, but I need to have the top completed in a week and a half. (Yikes!) So, I will be sewing like a crazy person for the next 8 days in hopes of getting this thing done on time. 


1 comment:

Karen said...

Catherine--you are a crazy girl! I feel sad that you are making a quilt on such a schedule. Aaugh! But at least you 've got a helper. I wish I were there to help! I'm coming home from school every day and working like said crazy lady to get ready for Becca's wedding. She got engaged just after you guys left. Courtney is helping with the food. Whew! Miss you! Karen