Sunday, April 6, 2008

What are you saying?

Unfortunately my camera died mid-week...so not only do I have fewer pictures to share, but I will have to rely solely on my mediocre memory to recall that has happened this past week.

Last Saturday we finally made it to Sentosa Island. Sentosa is located just south of Singapore, and is a resort island which has a completely manmade feel.  However, Sentosa is the only place around here that has clean beaches without a cargo ship within swimming distance.  We were all pleasantly surprised when we got to the beach; it was really cute, and along the water were large wooden lounge chairs (about the size of a king sized bed) with large umbrellas above them. We hunkered down on our platform, and shortly thereafter I was approached by a girl with a drink menu and a lunch menu. Sweet! Not only is lunch delivered, but you are not allowed to tip. (I love this place!)

About 150 yards off the beach, was a small island with another little beach. Jacob immediately had his eye set on swimming there. No sooner than we had put down our bags and he was in the water on his way to the island. Scott went with him while Andrew and I stayed behind. Andrew was bummed he couldn't go, so to make it up to him, I buried him up to his neck in the sand. He was very excited since it was something he has seen one of the characters do in "Lilo  and Stitch". The only thing he did not like were the "hairys" on the beach. (The seaweed does look like a giant clump of hair floating in the water). When Scott and Jacob returned, they took Andrew, and the three of them decided to swim out to sea. (Andrew was allowed to go in the inner tube). They swam until a barricade prevented them from going any further. After that excursion, they decided to head to the island again! I thought for sure they would be completely thrashed when they returned. Instead, they ate some lunch, and then went exploring on the beach.

I've included some photos of the island. If you can see any peach dots in the water, those are the boys. 

My favorite part about our day, was an enormous (seriously, the largest ever) reunion going on a little way down the beach. There must have been about a thousand people in attendance - accompanied by a giant inflatable pink animal of some sort, and a very loud deejay. I was watching the elder members of the family while the tech-no version of "The Thong Song" was playing, wondering what must be going through their minds. Another classic moment of the reunion was when I was able to read the banner announcing the reunion. "The Fong Family Fiesta Luau". Translation: a Chinese family having a Mexican party with Hawaiian food. It was just a classic sight.

The boys decided to make another trek out to the island. As they were coming ashore on the island, I decided that I ought to head over there so I would not be a totally lame mom. I get into the ocean and start my freestyle. Since I wear contacts and did not have access to googles, my freestyle was a bit odd since I basically had to keep my head out of the water the entire time. On top of that, I became extremely winded after about 20 strokes. I decided to then go for the backstroke, but was not making very good time and I was having a hard time navigating. So - I then resorted to a very bad breaststroke (but again, the contacts issue). As I was about half way to the island and wondering how on earth I am struggling when my seven-year-old has made the same trip twice, I notice that the family reunion is lining up for a kayak race and guess who is right in their direct path. Oh yes! There I am, barely staying afloat, and now forty people are in their boats waiting for me to get out of their way. I tried to kick up the free-style a notch, but quickly found myself doing the backstroke again. I was trying to come across as if I was going for a leisurely swim, unaware if the impending race...but that is a bit difficult when a deejay is announcing over the loud speaker for everyone to hold on and, in turn, everyone is trying to see what is causing the delay. Slight moment of embarrassment.

I finally found my way to the shore of the island. We made sand castles for  while, and Andrew was thrilled when he caught a baby crab. Jacob was so bugged that he could not find a crab. In order to keep the crab safe, Andrew buried him within the castle walls. I am sure the crab really appreciated the precaution measures taken by his captor...that is, if he survived them....

After four hours at the beach we were all pretty worn out. On the drive home, Scott and I were commenting on how much sun the boys has gotten, even though we slathered them with the strongest sunblock we had. Go figure...I guess the sun must be stronger on the equator. Well, guess who thought they didn't need to put sunblock on their legs! Since my legs are constantly stark white, AND I am generally incapable of getting a tan - I thought I would leave my lower appendages to fend for themselves. Big mistake. And it wasn't even one of those mistakes that pans out in the end. The pigment in my body must be screwed up. I wound up with major burn sdown my thighs (on the sides only, nothing in front) and on my shins. I look like I painted giant racing stripes down my thighs. So attractive. I cannot tell you how much pain I was in for the first three days. If I made any type of movement in my sleep I would immediately wake up because of the pain. The burn now has some semblance of a tan, but since it is totally uneven it is of no use to me.

Sunday was an average Sunday. However, there is one funny moment I have to mention. The boys kept arguing, so Scott and I told them they had to play in separate rooms. Jacob was none-to-happy that the room to which he was assigned had no toys. Scott told him to go get five toys to bring into his assigned room. Well, Andrew thought that he was to choose the five toys for Jacob....and made sure to pick the five lamest toys available. His choices: a lips whistle, Mami (from Dora the Explorer), an empty wooden box, one book, and (this was our favorite) one wooden block with the letter "j" (as in that is the first letter of Jacob's name). There is a picture of the items on the side. Andrew may not say much, but he knows what he is doing.

Friday afternoon I had the chance to go to school with Andrew for his Student Led Conference. It is a time for the children to take their parents around all their classrooms and show them what they have been learning throughout the year. I have to say, I was so impressed with Andrew! He has learned how to count to about 13 in both Chinese and French, and can say of few other things in both languages. I had no idea he knew that much! I am starting to think that he has  a smallish crush on his Chinese teacher, Miss Mioa (pronounced Miss Meow) because he talks about her all the time. I was picturing some kind of elderly sweet lady, but was surprised to meet a really cute girl in her twenties. Andrew was so shy when we were in her room, that my suspicions were aroused. Anyway, it was a really fun afternoon with Andrew and I was just so proud of him.

The boys both started baseball this Saturday. On Wednesday night, Scott and I were both more than a bit surprised to find out that Scott was the coach for Andrew's team and I was the team mom for Jacob's. Hmmm, that gives us a good two days to get ready. I tried to help out Scott by sending on email on his behalf to the team, introducing himself and telling them about games, practice, etc. A few hours later I received and email from one of the parents telling me she is a bit confused because she was already contacted by another coach telling them they were on another team. After a few phone calls, I realize that I have mass emailed the wrong team. What an idiot! So...I had to re-email the team to tell them to ignore the previous email, then send out a new email to the correct team. The upside is that I signed all the emails with Scott's name.
Saturday was wild. Andrew's practice/game (they have them back to back out here) started at 8:30am. Practice was supposed to be 45 minutes, followed by a 45 minute game (same for Jacob). Jacob's round started at 9am. Basically, we spent the first three hours of Saturday morning running all over the place trying to make sure the boys were at the right fields playing with the right team. On top of that, it was the hottest day I have ever experienced since moving here. If I had to guess, it must have been 85 degrees, with 90 percent humidity, and not one cloud in the sky. When the boys were done playing they looked like they had just taken a shower. Scott had to call Andrew's game early because, "Players were dropping on the field." We all needed some downtime after the games. 

Last night we had a themed church party for the adults. The theme: Hollywood/Bollywood. You were supposed to come dressed in either Hollywood or Bollywood glamour...I wanted to dress up, but thought I would be the only one and did not want to make a fool of myself. We arrive to discover we are the only people not in costume. Whoops! The party was a total blast. I am so excited because we are starting to meet some awesome people who I think are going to be great friends. The one quasi-awkward moment of the evening was when I was cornered by a deaf-mute Indian. He is a really nice kid (I think he is about 20 or so), but he was trying to have a full fledged conversation with me between sign language and typing on his cell phone. It was just one of those moments when you break out into a nervous sweat trying to understand what the other person is telling you. I was actually somewhat impressed with how well I did - I communicated that I am from Florida and he knew it was really hot there. He then told me that he has friends who fight in the Sikh army. I gave him a thumbs up because, well...what else do you do to a deaf-mute? .....Do you give a thumbs up to something like that? 


1 comment:

Karen said...

So I wish you had posted a picture of your candy-striped legs!?!