Monday, January 21, 2008

Time for change

Thought I would mix things up a bit and change the blog around. 

Scott left for Thailand a few hours ago....and I can't sleep. I just finished watching a movie, and now I am messing around with our blog. Lots of fun. Since I am on, I ought to catch you up on all that has happened during the weekend. 

Saturday I was not feeling fantastic. In fact, I felt totally lousy. I spent a majority of the morning and afternoon  on the couch in and out of a dream state. (What a fun Mommy!) Scott was kind enough to entertain the boys while I was convalescing. The three of them went to the playground, and then headed over to the pool. I finally managed to hoist myself off the couch, clean myself up, and meet them down at the pool just as they were finishing up. 

After the guys got dressed, Scott asked if I was up to going out. By that point I was so tired of laying around, that I eagerly accepted the invitation. Scott recommended we visit "Turf City". Scott had told me of this place when he came to Singapore last December. As far as I knew, it was the center of a number of restaurants. This "center" is comprised of tanks filled with live sea animals/creatures which are to be your dinner. You chose the crab/lobster/fish that is to your liking, it is pulled from its tank, and prepared for you immediately. I had a vague recollection of going to similar place in my youth. In my memory, I was at a five star restaurant with my parents, and there was a large tank of lobster s which were to be that evenings' meal. So....when Scott mentioned "Turf City", I immediately pictured something similar to this happy, luxurious memory with my parents. 

We pull up to "Turf City" and it looks like a flea market....complete with an abandoned dog track in the back. We make our way through various stalls and shops, and find ourselves at the sea food center. I immediately am struck speechless by a giant King Crab that is pressed flat up against the glass of its tank. The boys eagerly run up to the tanks and Jacob is yelling that he wants a lobster for dinner. Among the animals we encountered at "Turf City" were prawns (happily swimming about), eels (which looked like a bad scene out of Indianan Jones), and frogs which were crammed in so tight that a few were stuck side ways with no way to get comfortable). It was a truly unique, Singaporean experience.


The last tank contained an enormous fish that cost $108. Obviously, Jacob thought that fish was destined to be his. He was extremely upset when we told him we were leaving...and would not be buying the fish. He spent the next 10 minutes trying to convince me to buy this fish so he could eat it. I told him to start saving his money - and when we have guests come, we will take them to "Turf City" and we can then share the fish together. (I know.... tempting thought for all of you who were considering visiting). When Jacob took a break in between his fish requests, Andrew informed us that he wanted to take one of the frogs, "and put it in a jar in the bathroom to watch him brush his teeth." Al-righty then....

That night we ate at a food court in one of the thousands of malls we have never before entered. The boys all went for western food - I hit the Japanese stand. However, I was the last one to order my food and by that time Scott had a total of $4 left in his wallet (and the place did not take credit cards). I turned bright red and told the boy behind the counter to cancel the order. He kept telling me not to worry and gave me the food anyway. So sweet! He wished me a Happy New Year when he handed me my tray. I will always hold a special place in my heart for that young man.

Since we had completely depleted our funds (and did not want to get hit with the 10% ding on credit cards used in cabs) we decided to go on an adventure and walk home. I immediately got us lost. Thankfully, Jacob has been paying attention on the bus and was able to find the right street to get us home. I was so proud of him! We were about 1 1/2 miles from our place and Jacob got us there with no problem.

Sunday was fun. We had a "linger longer" after church and were able to meet some more nice people. I am already seeing the down side of being in an expat ward; it is so fluid. About 60% of the people we met will be out of the ward by the end of summer. Boo! 

Today was Andrew's first day of school at the Canadian School. For the first time in my life, I met a male Junior Kindergarten teacher. His name is Sean Perry and I think Andrew will have a great time in his class (Mr. Perry also has a four year old attending the school). It was very sad to leave Andrew. I have never had him in a full day class. In fact, this year was Jacob's first time in full day classes. When I came to pick up Andrew at 2:55pm, he asked, "What took you so long!" We then climbed into a cab and he immediately passed out. 

While the boys were in school, Scott and I were able to go on a lunch date! Very exciting!  I showed up at Scott's office in heels and a skirt. A date is a date, and I wanted to look nice. We ate at an Irish Pub, and the food was great. Scott ordered a lemonade which I guess means Sprite in Singapore. Anyway, it was fun to spend some time together this afternoon.

Scott came home early from work so we could get him packed. While he was getting things together, he had me read the travel advisory that Chevron printed for him to read before traveling to Thailand. Here is Catherine's synopsis: the country has malaria, be wary of people who offer you anything for free (they will drug and rob and/or murder you), and the city Scott will be in is one of the main prostitution hubs. (Point in fact, the advisory stated that if you are seeking any "female or male companionship", arrangements should be made in advance....thanks for the tip!) Sounds like a great place.

Well, Andrew is resisting going to sleep so I need to take care of that situation.

I am hoping to have some great Thailand stories when Scott gets home. Stay tuned.....




3 comments:

david johnson said...

i you guys! I totally love your blog! Tell the babies I love them and miss them!

i love you zord!

love, trisha

david johnson said...

oops! I meant to say that I love you guys!

Now you can see why I need surgery...

sorry!

(i guess i could always try spell check, too! :-)

Christa said...

Sounds like you guys had a pretty awsome weekend! The boys look so cute and happy. Give them hugs for us!