Thursday, January 10, 2008

No more scissors

Yesterday morning I am tidying around the apartment/hotel room when Andrew comes out of his room with a large piece of white fabric (about the size of a pillow case). It took me a few seconds to realize what he had. It took a lot less time for me to realize it was something that had not come with us from California....thus it came from the hotel! I anxiously start asking Andrew, "Where did you get that!"

"From the bed."

I run into his room to discover that he had taken his new Ben 10 scissors to the flat sheet on his bed. He frayed the left side of the sheet, and cut off a huge chunk from the right. (Looks like we have a Julie Andrews on our hands). I was so mad! I had no idea what to do. After punishing Andrew, I went in to deal with the sheet problem. Guessing that hotels lose a number of sheets each month to various circumstances (wear and tear, stains, etc) I decided to roll down the sheet, hoping the maid would not notice. I figured once the sheet made it to the laundry it would attain the appropriate anonymity it needed to be chalked up to another causality of the hotel industry. 

Problem is that I have the world's worst conscience and will report it to the front desk. 

Andrew has since lost his scissor privileges for the next week.

The contract for the apartment we want is now in negotiations.  Turns out the current tenant owns all the appliances in the apartment, so in our negotiations we asked for a new washer and dryer, an oven, a fridge, and a dishwasher. Oh, and new curtains, a fresh paint job, and a repair on some of the tiles. I am counting on them asking for more rent. We should know their response sometime this afternoon.

Tuesday evening we went out to dinner at the local food court. I have learned to never buy something because it "looks" American - you will generally come out disappointed. Case in point: Scott bought fried chicken for the boys. The picture looked like something from KFC, but the result was a greasy, dark meat piece with bones. The boys were thrilled. Even Jacob had no interest after about two bites.

Speaking of American fast food. Both McDonald's and KFC have 24 hour delivery service anywhere on the island. You see them all over the place...guys on motorcycles with what looks like a large backpack with shelves on the sides. You would think the locals would be a bit more heavy set with delivery such as that!

And speaking of weight...the boys and I met Scott at work for lunch on Tuesday. Scott works in Raffles Place and it is a wife's nightmare. All the women look exactly as Hollywood would have us believe business women ought to look. I was surrounded by hundreds of gorgeous, thin women in designer (tight) skirts and dresses. So much for the ego. 

We have not come into contact with any bugs, reptiles, or rodents since our last post. Hurray!


1 comment:

david johnson said...

hi zord...

this totally reminds me of the scene from enchanted where the girl cuts the curtains to makes her new dress. so cute!

I miss your babies...and i miss you guys!

I love your posts...they are hilarious. It is good to hear that you are doing so well.

I love you and I miss you!

love, trisha