Friday, January 25, 2008

New experiences

Tuesday, was Andrew's very first day on the bus. He was so thrilled to finally have the chance to ride one. He sat in his seat, buckled up, and just as he looked up to wave, the bus took off. Luckily, I could still see his cute little face until it turned the corner. I have been waiting all week to see if he would get tired of it, but he is just as excited every morning when he wakes up. 

As previously mentioned, Scott has been gone this week. Needless to say, we cannot wait for him to get home tomorrow morning. I have one good story from him (actually two, or three) but will wait to publish those until I get more details from him. However, on Wednesday night, Scott called me after he came home from dinner with the Thailand group. I asked how themeal was, and he did not sound too thrilled in his response. He said that nothing looked like anything he had ever before seen, so he ordered the "roasted pig". When he received his meal, it was an entire baby pig, split down the middle, glazed, and roasted. Why a baby pig? Well, the meal is the roasted skin. Yummy! While we were on the phone I googled "roasted baby pig, thailand" to find out what he had eaten. I found this picture, and Scott concurred that was indeed his meal for the night. (Could someone call PETA for me?) 

Sorry if that picture grossed any of you out.

While Scott was having his culinary adventure, I was having one of the more horrific moments of my life. That evening, the boys voted to go swimming as their after-school activity. As most of you know, I hate donning a bathing suit.  However, I want the kids to have "fun" memories of "Mommy" doing things with them, so I put on the suit and headed down with the boys. After a couple of minutes, I hop in the pool to play with Jacob and Andrew. We stayed in the same general area of the pool for the next ten minutes. I was holding Andrew and zipping him around in the water, when suddenly.....my foot sinks into, and slips on something soft and slimy! I look down to see a brown cloud forming around my foot. I immediately jump out of the pool (with the boys) all the while trying to convince myself that it was only rotted leaves. Looking in the water, I notice there are a few piles of the brown goo. I decided to go to the front desk and inform the lady that I had "stepped in something mysterious at the bottom of the pool". A few minutes later I see the pool guy come out and walk right by the crime scene. I walk up to him and point out where the offense had occurred. As he goes to retrieve the pool net, I take my place on a lawn chair. I see him scoop out the mush, and fling it into a nearby bush. Obviously, not having gotten everything out, he heads back to the cleaning shack shaking his head. As he passes me he says, "Someone s--t in the pool." Very nice. Extremely nice seeing as there are about 30 other people happily splashing around in the pool, completely unaware that they are potentially in a sea of ecoli and/or hepatitis. He notices my reaction and continues, "It's okay. We put some chemicals in there. It's okay." Not okay. I gather up the children and we immediately headed to out apartment and bathed from head to toe...twice. I threw all the bathing suits in the wash and threw away the rubber band in my hair. Even thinking about it now makes me want to take another shower. 

On a lighter note....I had to buy a local brand of hair gel this week. (Between Scott and Jacob, we quickly ran out). I have never before seen such intense hair gel. When you squeeze it into your hand, it has the look of Elmer's Glue with the thickness of toothpaste. It is so potent that I literally have to scrub my hand to get it off my palms once I have finished doing Jacob's hair. One day I did not scrub hard enough and it felt like I had rubbed a glue stick on my hands. Jacob could stand in a full on hurricane and I don't think one hair would be out of place.

Yesterday, I took Andrew to get on the bus, only to discover that every other child was wearing some type of traditional Chinese outfit. I asked what was going on and was informed the school was doing some type of cultural recognition for the Chinese New Year. Everyone was in bright reds, blues, and yellows. Andrew is in his uniform. This darling mom from Brazil tells me that she has some Chinese pajamas he can borrow. Before I could resist, she runs across the street and up to her apartment. She runs down in time just to meet the bus. I shove the clothes in Andrew's backpack and tell him to change when he gets to school. When he got home that afternoon I laughed out load. He looked so cute. 

Jacob is starting to enjoy the American School more every day. He is making some good friends and is thrilled that he is allowed to play tag during recess (a no, no at his other school). However, I still think his favorite part of the week is the weekend.

Today I attended a PTA meeting (my very first ever) at Jacob's school. It was actually very fun and I met some incredible people. I will never cease to be amazed at all the coincidences and connections that occur in this tiny, little country. Just today I was talking to another mom whose children are on the bus with Andrew (she and I have been getting to know each other throughout the week). She grew up in Canada, but has spent the past 20 year living abroad (mostly in the UK and South Africa). She had overheard that I grew up in Miami, and tells me that she used to work in a town called Miami Lakes. Off all the places in the world, she worked 5 minutes from my home! It gets even better.....she then goes on to tell me that every summer she would go to a small town called New Smyrna Beach. I seriously almost fell out of my chair. I spent every summer of my childhood in that exact same place. (In fact, we had our Barry Family reunion there this past summer to relive the old days). For those of you who don't know the area... it's tiny! Very small town feel. I was just blown away.

That's about my week in a nutshell. I am sure I am missing something, but it is 12:30am and while I may physically be awake, my brain is not.


1 comment:

Christa said...

How cute Andrew riding a bus!! He looks adorable in his pj's. Atleast you can't say your life is boring!! It's really fun to hear all the things you guys are upto and experiencing!! Especially that baby big. Nasty! Poor Scott!