Scott and I decided to take it upon ourselves to look for an apartment since we have had little to no luck with our agent. We found two apartments in the complex we like and contacted their agents. Here is the rundown on the two apartments:
Apartment 1: We are dropped off in front of the building and start making our way up to the elevator. Suddenly, a very large rodent runs up, looks at us, and then scurries down into the drain system. YIKES! The boys then launch into a full on debate as to whether or not the animal we had just seen was a rat or a mouse. It was ultimately decided that we had just seen an extrmely large mouse. I try to block that image from my mind as we go up the elevator to look at the apartment. The aparment was the pefect size, but had extensive water damage. The floor had buckled so badly that my nephews could have used the living room as a half pipe for their skateboards. Each bedroom had its own designer mold on the walls, and the patio was warped. Besides that, we thought it had a lot of promise. The realtor was the nicest guy and even gave us a ride back to our hotel after we had finished looking at the place.
Apartment 2: This is the apartment we want! It is the largest one we have come across in our price range and was kept very clean by the man who lived there. Side note on the current tenant: He is has been living in Singapore for the past 17 years as a bachelor and was bragging about the many women who have come over to stay with him. "No, we are not interested in keeping the beds. Thanks". Besides that, the apartment was actually very nice. While there, I did have not one, but two South Florida flashbacks. Flashback #1 - a dead roach, lying stomach up on the closet shelf. (Note to self, buy some Raid). Flashback #2 - Jacob yells out, "I do not want to live here!" I turn around to see him pointing at the door jam. Upon closer inspection, I find that a kindly lizard had had its life cut short by a slammed door while climbing up the door jam. It was permanently imbedded into the wood. I asked the landlord if a pre-move-in cleaning could be added to our contract. In all honesty, we are hoping to get that apartment.
We spent the better part of Saturday evening trying to get a hold of someone in our ward to find out what time church serves were for the next day. I finally got a hold of someone named Ryan (whose family had just returned home from Canada) who told me that our services began at 2pm. Sunday morning we took it easy, and then headed over to the building around 1:30pm. We quickly realized we had been given the wrong time and were in the local ward (which I was pretty excited about). The only low point was when Jacob exclaims in the chapel, "What!? Everyone in our ward is brown?" (So much for the diversity training he received while living in California.)
When another caucasian family came into the meeting five minutes after us, I realized that must have been the family we called. When sacrament ended, the two families made eye contact and I (trying to be funny) pointed at them and mouthed "Canadians!" I soon realized they may not find the humor in that, so I went over to officially introduce myself. They turned out to be an awesome family and we spent about a half an hour talking to them. At then end of the conversation they gave us a loaf of banana bread (yes, familiar food) which we immediately inhaled upon our arrival home.
Today I ventured out alone with the boys to get their school uniforms. Andrew was very excited about his and wants to wear it around the house. I asked him to wait until Dad gets home. With uniforms in hand (and $160 poorer) we headed off to buy school supplies. The school handbook stated that "Any popular stationary store (e.i. the Orchard MRT) should carry the supplies". I told the driver to drop us off at the Orchard MRT, but soon found out I was not deposited exactly at the MRT. The boys were so excited to go traipsing up and down Orchard Road with me while I tried to find the stationary store. I asked for directions from three different people, but kept winding up in another mall. I soon realized I was definitely in the wrong place when every store around me was a high end establishment. I was so tried from walking I was about to ask the Louis Vuitton sales clerk if they sold glue sticks. Honestly, you all should be very, very grateful for Target. We eventually found the "Popular Stationary Store" (that's its real name) and came out with all of Andrew's supplies, plus a Transformers pen (Jacob) and Ben 10 scissors (Andrew).
I caved and bought McDonald's for lunch today.
No comments:
Post a Comment