Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy 10th Anniversary

(I must start this entry by giving full credit to my friend, Eva, who did this a week ago for her anniversary. She is super talented and I love to borrow from her wealth of ideas. Thanks, Woman!) Okay... here we go.....

A little over ten years ago, this very good looking guy caught my attention during tithing settlement. He opened my tithing envelope to see how much was in it (supposedly on orders from the Bishop) and I questioned his authority.  Scott later admitted my comment caught his attention (but obviously not enough for him to ask me out on a date). It took a while, but I finally managed to not only get him to talk to me, but to ask me out. Almost six months later, on October 24, 1998, we were sealed for all time and eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. (Warning: If either Jacob or Andrew attempt to marry someone in any time frame under one year, they will be in serious trouble!!!) Scott and I have often admitted that either one of us could have easily been a psycho - but luckily that was not the case and the past ten years have been incredible. Here is a walk down memory lane. (Although posting these pictures has been somewhat of a wake up call that I look a lot older than I think. Also, I know we have been married a long time when one can see a painfully obvious change in photo quality over the years).


The official engagement picture.

Since we moved away, a majority of our photos have gone into storage. Here are the few pictures which made it to Singapore. They were taken by my sister-in-law, Andrea, who I think has a great eye for photography.


This is my favorite picture from our wedding day. I was scared that this was the olive tree ripped out of the ground by that crazy tornado which assaulted Salt Lake in 1999. Luckily, it was the other one (sorry, to my siblings...I think they all had pictures taken in front of the doomed tree)

Here I am with two of the strongest women I know. They have both been through many trials and have been an example of strength and courage. I am blessed that these two women are also conveniently my mother and sister. (The little girl on the right, my niece Xanga, is currently a Freshman at ASU. The other one is my niece, Lauren, who is Sophomore in High School. Yes, that does make me feel old).

October 24, 1999. We broke out the wedding cake top which had been kept in the freezer (with the original plant life which once adorned it) for the past year. I took my first big bite to discover that it tasted like spoiled milk. Vile! (In this picture is my nephew, James, who just got his driver's license. Aaaaa! I need to stop putting in pictures of cute little kids who are now on the threshold of adulthood). 

We eventually decided to start adding to our numbers. I was very upset the morning this picture was taken because my "fat girl" overalls were so tight I could barely get them ver my thighs....as you can see in the picture. I think that morning Scott thought he had married a psycho. He then had to deal with a wife who tried to turn herself into a human elephant during her pregnancies. (200 pounds is not sexy on a 5'6'' woman). Scott was always very loving and told me I looked beautiful; even though I am sure he was scared of my violent weight gain.

Over the next few years we were blessed with two very cute, very fun, and very adventurous little boys. They are what make our family complete.

Life has involved a lot of adventures, a lot of messes, and a lot of laundry. But most of all, it has been a lot of fun.

Between the four of us, we have had a total of 14 "First Day"s of school. (Though I did not get the chance to take a picture of Scott holding his sign for ASU).


I found this quote by Thomas Jefferson and thought it was just perfect: "The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family." 

It's been a wonderful 10 years...

...and I am so looking forward to the next ten! 



6 comments:

david johnson said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SCOTT AND CATHERINE! I love seeing all of your old photos...they make me smile.

I cannot believe it has been 10 years for you guys. It has flown by! Happy 10th!!!!

we all love you so much!
love, trisha and fam

Eva and Joey said...

That was awesome! You were a beautiful bride!! I love you so much and I'm so happy that we are just as close as ever! Happy anniversary!!

Mom of Four said...

Happy 10th Anniversary!! You guys are cute, and you are so photogenic by the way!

shannon said...

So fun to read your blog and catch up on all the adventures of your life in Singapore--so incredibly jealous! Oh and happy tenth. Scott and I were talking about how fun it was to be at your wedding.

Matrina Barry said...

Dear Catherine,
You are such a beautiful bride and always such a beautiful daughter. It seems like yesterday you and Scott were married.

HAPPY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY CATHERINE AND SCOTT!! I hope I was the first person to call and wish you a Happy Anniversary, like you usually are the first with Happy Birthday, etc. to me. I love you, Scott, Jacob, and Andrew with all my heart. You are "THE BEST!!"

I love you!! I love you!! I love you!!

All my love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 10th year anniversary! =] I love the cute family pic on the grass. You are a beautiful mom. Love you!