Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!!!! I am completely strapped for time - so this is probably going to be a short one. 

This month I discovered that Halloween is an American export. I think it first hit me when I went to buy a small pumpkin at the grocery store and discovered that it cost $25. Luckily the school shipped in a pumpkin patch and we were abel to get these two beauties for the reasonable price of $70. Jacob's extra large pumpkin is what killed the cost. The moment we got to the school, Jacob ran in and sat on the largest pumpkin he could find. It wasn't until we were in line to purchase the pumpkin that we discovered that is cost $50. Boo. Next year we are buying styrofoam pumpkins that can be reused. 

Andrew wanted his pumpkin to be "Andrew". Whenever we draw a picture of "Andrew", the requirements are a smilie face and circles on the top. He was very happy with how his pumpkin portrait turned out.
Jacob was adamant that he have a Darth Vader pumpkin. He drew the face and Scott was responsible for the carving. I think Scott got a bit nervous when he saw Jacob's creation. In the end, Jacob had to chose which lines he wanted carved out and which would remain as drawings.  Luckily the result was joyous for everyone involved in its creation.

Andrew was Ron Wesely for Halloween. If anyone called him Harry Potter he would passionately correct them: "No! I am Ron Wesely!" We could not get Andrew to take off his robe the second he got it. Last night we was sweating like crazy, but refused to remove his Gryffindor robes. I am sure he is going to try to wear it to school on alternate dress day.

Jacob went for a Star Wars theme this year. I have no idea why, but he wanted to be a clone trouper. He was so thrilled with his costume. 

I never get to dress up for Halloween, but hours before I went to school, my friend gave me a purple wig and insisted I wear it. I have no idea what I was. Someone told me I looked like a drag queen. I must admit that was probably a fair assessment.

Here is trick-or-treating in Singapore. Just a little crowded. I was amazed there was enough candy for everyone!



Sorry for any typos - but I've got to run. Happy Halloween!!!

3 comments:

david johnson said...

Andrew looks just like Ron Weesley!!! And Jacob is perfect as a star wars guy. you guys look so great!

I miss you! I hope you have fun in china! love you lots zord!

p.s. you are way to gorgeous to be a drag queen! :-)

Matrina Barry said...

Dear Catherine,

I love the pictures of Jacob and Andrew--they are definitely the "Stars" of Halloween with their smiling faces and costumes!!
They couldn't look cuter and I wanted to hug them the minute I saw these pictures-they are great!!

Have a great time in Beijing with Scott. Remember you were "The Star" when you went there before and I am sure you will be again.

I appreciate the message you sent before you left. I love you soooooooooooooooooooooo very much and miss you all the time.

All my love,

Mom

red apron said...

You're a good mom. $70 for pumpkins!! You look fabulous in purple!