Last week was the children's last week of vacation. I think we went to every water park Singapore has to offer and ate take-out more than I care to admit.....but it was fun! Monday was "back to school day" for the boys. Andrew was thrilled, and Jacob spent the 72 hours prior telling me how much he missed Christmas and didn't want to go back to school. Even the lure of friends was not enough to tempt Jacob to be even remotely excited.
When the boys got home from school on Monday, they had enough energy to power a small car. The family room quickly became a wrestling pad. I was sitting on the couch observing/avoiding the insanity. Andrew did a backwards summer salt and I happened to notice a large red mark on the back of his upper thigh. I had him sit still while I took a look.
Yikes! In a 3"x3" region were about ten little open sores on his leg. He had had an irritated bug bite back there a few days prior, but I had not thought much about it. Being the overly zealous parent that I am, I chalked the sores up to his not washing good enough while in the shower. I had him take a nice long bath, slathered some Neosporin on it, and bandaged the area.
The next day I was on the phone with my dad, and happened to mention Andrew's "wounds". After the description, my dad said, "That sounds like it might be a staff infection." (Yes, I felt like a looser of a parent at that moment). An hour later I had collected Andrew and Jacob from school, and was on the way to the pediatrician.
Diagnosis: impetigo.
Definition: Impetigo is a common, highly infectious skin disease caused by staphylococcus bacteria or more rarely by the streptococcus bacteria.
Luckily, it is easily treated and we were sent home with some antibiotic ointment to smear on Andrew three times a day.
In closing, I would like to extend a big "thank you" to the water slide parks of Singapore for their introduction of this bacteria into our home!
2 comments:
i need you to tell me about all these parks you took your kids to! except you can leave out the one with the bacteria!
Catherine,
Jacob and Andrew are back in school and I love to picture the university-like atmosphere of their school. It is truly amazing!!
Great news--I finally developed the pictures of Disney World with you, Jacob, and Andrew. All your smiling faces are treasures!!
I love you!! I love you!! I love you!!
All my love, Mom
Post a Comment