So....we are rapidly approaching the year of the Ox! I must say, I am very happy to be saying good-bye to the year of the Rat (not because it was a bad year but because I find rats rather disgusting).
As is tradition in the American School, all the children take a field trip to Chinatown during the weeks prior to the Chinese New Year. Months ago, I had promised Jacob that I would go on his next field trip (seeing as I have never been on his and have been to a couple of Andrew's). Last week I received notification that Jacob's class would be going to Chinatown at 9am on the 22nd of January. I happily signed my name as a volunteer to chaperon and sent in my slip. The very next day I received notification from Andrew's class that they would be going to Chinatown at 9am on the 22nd of January.
Needless to say, not too thrilled to send my five year old into Chinatown during the high season without my Mama Hawk supervision - but I could not break my promise to Jacob (he has reminded me of this promise every week since it was made). I tried to convince Andrew to come with me and Jacob, but he did not want to forego field trip time with his friends. Admittedly, I was anxious all day about Andrew getting lost.
Not only did I get to chaperon Jacob and three of his class-mates, I was also responsible for guiding them through a scavenger hunt. (Yes, trying to keep track of four kids in multiple crowded alleyways would be so much more fun and relaxing with a scavenger hunt thrown on top). We were given about ten locations which the kids (meaning parents) had to find, and then take a picture in front of said location as proof. By the fifth check point the kids were done! I think if they had guns the would have shot me and the other mom. We were thrilled when we finally finished the scavenger hunt and told the kids we could go wherever they wanted. Unfortunately, by that point the kid were bored, tired, and hungry AND we still had an hour and a half to burn. I couldn't blame them; it was stagnantly hot, extremely cramped, and there were some very interesting smells floating around.
My favorite part of the afternoon was one of the little boys in our group. Actually, little is probably the worst way to describe this kid. He and his family just moved here from Korea and he is the biggest seven year old I have ever seen in my life! Honestly, he was as tall as the other mom in my group and easily came up to my chin. As mentioned, he just moved here from another country so he can hardly speak two words in English. I also think he is still unaccustomed to using his English name. I cannot tell you how many times he would wander off. The other mom and I would be calling out "Jeffrey! Jeffrey!" and he would just keep going. It was like having a giant deaf-mute in the group. However, he is seriously a total sweet heart.
Today's purchases: a red lantern, a bird whistle, a dragon head, and two lion puppets. Three of the items have already broken.
In other news: Scott returned from Thailand late last night. We have not seen him since Sunday, so everyone was excited to have him home. Jacob was extremely anxious to see his dad when he woke up this morning (since they were fast asleep when he came home last night). I wanted Scott to get as much sleep as possible, so I told Jacob he had to eat and get dressed before going down. I have never seen Jacob power through his morning routine so quickly in my life. What normally takes 20 minutes to complete (with much nagging and encouraging) was done in about five without one word from mom. How amazing is the power of motivation!
And now....... on to the pictures!!!!!
Oranges are a HUGE deal for Chinese New Year. The kids were supposed to buy oranges at the stall and speak only Mandarin to the cashier. Yea...didn't quite happen that way. Jacob handed her the money and I said "shui-shei" (that was about all the Mandarin that was used).
At the fruit stall again....with their Mandarin teacher. I hope she was impressed with my mastery of the language.
I am hoping Jacob does not get lice as a result of taking this picture. I wasn't really thinking when I told him it was okay to put on the lion head.
Oh....one last item of business. Scott was thrilled to get these matching jerseys for himself and the boys. He has been looking for these things for months! Luckily we are fortunate enough to have a German family in our ward who went back to the Fatherland for the holidays and brought one back for Scott.
Andrew was not as excited about the jerseys as his father and older brother. Look at how thrilled he is in this picture.
We finally got Andrew to somewhat smile...but you can still tell he is bugged. So stubborn!
3 comments:
Catherine,
What a fun field trip!! It brought back many happy memories of taking you and your friends on trips at Miami Country Day School.
I am glad both Jacob and Andrew were carefully watched over, being their "Grandmother Hen," I am always praying that they are safe.
I love your purchases--which ones are not broken??
I miss you sooooooooo much.
All my love, Mom
so true about the chinese toys--total junk! carly's toys broke before she even got home! although, i wish i had been there to witness all of the behind the scenes stuff!
and, i love the picture where andrew looks a little bit happier! you're so funny!
I TOTALLY LOVE THE PICTURES OF YOUR KIDS! I LOVE/MISS THEM SO MUCH!
YOUR BLOG ROCKS! YOU MAKE ME SMILE ZORD! LOVE YOU TONS!
Post a Comment