Thursday, January 29, 2009

And Time Marches On

Happy birthday....to me. Yes, on this blessed day, 31 years ago, I was brought forth into the world. 

Here is a rundown of my big birthday celebration. I decided to spend my last day as a 30 year-old ironing everything in the closet that was wrinkled. (I think that may have been some kind of symbolic action on a subconscious level). Ironing kept me up past midnight which meant I was exhausted when I had to get up at 6:20am to get the boys ready for school. After the boys were deposited safely on the bus, I eagerly ran home to take a nap without any guilt since it is my birthday and I get to do whatever I want. The second I got all settled into bed, the phone calls began. However, I absolutely love to talk to my family, so it was worth the slumber delay.

I took a nice nap, then got up to get ready for lunch. 

I took myself to a delicious restaurant that has one of the most amazing turkey sandwiches EVER. I brought my book and enjoyed the bliss of quiet reading and great food. To end my meal, I decided to have more than one scoop of ice-cream (I refuse to divulge the actual number) in a huge waffle cone bowl. Needless to say, it was awesome!

The next line of business was to head over to the boys' school since I had told Jacob's teacher I would help out the class with their research projects. I spent a good hour in the library helping about ten 2nd graders find what are the most common foods in India, the terrain of Japan, and animals unique to Indonesia. My favorite part of the afternoon was the country Jacob chose to research and why. He told me that he missed his cousin David, and was proud of him (David is currently serving his mission in Tokyo) and so he wanted to do his paper on Japan. So sweet!

I am sure you are anxious with anticipation to hear what my big plans were for this evening (since everything else has been so incredibly exciting). Unfortunately, Scott is out of town of business. Fortunately, I have two other handsome boys at home who wanted to take me out for my birthday. The three of us decided to get some dumplings to celebrate. It was lots of fun watching Jacob and Andrew attempt to maneuver eating with chopsticks. Those dumplings are very hard to control.

All in all, it was a great day.

In other news.....

Last night Jacob decided to read Andrew and me a bedtime story. The book of choice was "Mr. Brave". In the book, Mr. Brave has a lunch appointment with Miss Busy. I don't know what happened, but the first time he came across Miss Busy's name, Jacob pronounced the "b" as a "p" and in essence assigned Miss Busy a rather pornographic name! When he called her Miss P---- I almost died; both of horror and laughter. I exclaimed, "Jacob! It's Miss BUSY! With a 'b'!" I think I totally scared Jacob, because the rest of time he kept struggling with the name. The porno name came out at least three other times during the reading session....and every time I would freak out. "Jacob! It's MISS BUSY!!!" Obviously, Jacob had no idea what the word meant and I did not tell him for fear it would be a topic of conversation at school the next day. Actually, I didn't even tell him it was a bad word because he would want to know why and what it meant. As of now he thinks I am a psychotic mom who will not tolerate any sort of mispronunciation. Sorry, Jacob.

P.S.

Okay, it has been a couple of hours since I wrote this last entry - and now it is time to honest.

I was TOTALLY bummed out that Scott was gone for my birthday. There were a few times today that I just felt, well, down. I did not want to tell Scott because he had no choice and needed to be in Thailand for a huge project that is currently in progress. I thought that telling him I was sad would do nothing but make him feel badly as well. As I was reading scriptures with the boys this evening, Scott texted me to tell me he was on his way to the hotel and would call me when he got in. A few minutes later, I got another text from Scott asking me to get online so we could talk on Skype. As I was writing him back, and man walked out of my kitchen!

I scared the crud out of me and I almost jumped out of my skin. Then I burst into tears when I realized it was Scott. I cannot tell you how excited I was to see him. No kidding, I started to cry. It was the perfect surprise and a perfect ending to my big day =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Cat! I hope you had a good one . . . and I'm glad for the happy ending provided by Scott.

And no more children's stories with name's like Deep Throat or "Miss -ussy"!

Love,

Mike

Allen's said...

Happy late birthday! What a great surprise at the end...what a sweet guy! Loved the story about Miss Busy, kids are such a riot sometimes!

Christa said...

Happy Birthday! Way to go Scott! I am sure that was the best birthday present ever!
By the way Humter is doing great! Sam's says she has lost 6 pounds! She ways 33 pounds now. She is a great Whoof (as Kaylee says)

david johnson said...

oh my gosh...that is the sweetest ending ever! I am so excited that Scott came home to see you!

what a good guy!

p.s. happy birthday zord! xo.
trish

Matrina Barry said...

Catherine,
Happy Birthday to my beautiful daughter!! It was fun being the first to call and wish you a Happy Birthday--I remember when you called me in Australia a minute after midnight to with me a Happy Mother's Day (I am trying to keep up with your record).
I love Michael's email and his humor (it is just like yours) and I am glad he kept asking me every day to have another baby--YOU!!
Scott is the Husband of the Year--what a great guy to surprise you and come home on your birthday.
You are "The Best" and I wish I could be there to celebrate your birthday--but I am celebrating it in my heart and my love for you.
I love you!! I love you!! I love you!!
All my love, Mom