Before getting into the week, I need to clarify that the medication I am taking is for my thyroid and is not a psychotrophic drug (although I am begining to seriously question if I ought to ask for a prescription). I wish I could solely blame my thyroid medication for my previous behavior. Sadly, the most my "high levels" of thyroid can make me do is act agitated. However, I am questioning the "high" levels of my thyroid because that should have also caused weight loss - and my doctor was very specific about the fact that I have gained weight. Boo. No fair that I only get the negative side effects of my medication! Shouldn't I at least get the perks of the good side effects too!?
Andrew had a big first this week. He is on his very first soccer team ever! After watching Jacob play on various teams for the past three years, Andrew was thrilled to finally have Jacob be the one watching him. However, after about five minutes in the hot Singapore sun, Andrew lost all interest in the game. He attempted to take water breaks every 30 seconds and continued trying to engage his buddy, Nathan, in conversation. We will be implementing some weekday training to build up Andrew's resistance to fatigue. Anyway, it was really cute to see how excited Andrew was to be on the team and to watch him run around the field. I have also proved what a lame-o parent I am because I totally forgot to bring a camera to capture the big day. I am hoping Andrew will one day forgive me when he notices my lack of photographic enthusiasm.
I have had a few interesting experiences this week. My favorite "Singapore moment" occurred at the grocery store. Singaporeans are very specific about how they bag their groceries. Each bag has its own special theme. Fruit will not be mixed with boxed goods. Meats are never bagged with dairy. Eggs must not get along with anyone because they are always bagged alone. This week however, my bagger decided that one specific can of cream of chicken soup needed its very own bag. I had at least twelve other shopping bags which could have easily accommodated the solitary can of soup, but the bagger would have none of it. Anyway, it made me laugh when I got home and had to remove my cream of chicken from the luxury of its personal bag.
Another common Singapore habit is to add "a" or "la" to the last word of every sentence. "You go to airport-la?" "Is this your seat-la?" and most commonly, "Okay-la." Up until recently I had only heard this phenomenon when speaking with a Singaporean. However, a few days ago I was at an office supply store and saw a sign which read, "CD-Rama". I know this was supposed to be about CD-ROMs, but for some reason it made me start to crave ramen noodles.
While at the stationary store, I was also suddenly struck by some mystery illness. I felt dizzy, weak, and unbelievably tired. I was glad that I made it home alive without collapsing. When I came upstairs, all I wanted to do was go to bed. Just after putting on my PJs, Scott asked if I had brought the folders (I had just bought) upstairs. Of coarse they were still in the car. Scott offered to go down to get them, but he was swamped with work and it was already past 11:30pm. I felt bad making him go down, so I went to the car, retrieved the folders from the trunk, then came upstairs. A few minutes later, Scott realized there was something else he needed from the car. This time he went down. When he came back upstairs he asked, "Catherine? Are you okay"
"I am really tired. Why?"
"Well, when I went down to the car all the doors were unlocked and the trunk was wide open."
"Ummmm. Really? Sorry."
I have no idea how, or why, I did that. (Especially since we have been overly cautious about locking any and all doors since my purse was stolen). Slightly embarrassing, and really air-headed. I am starting to wonder if Scott should be scared of me, if he is not already.
1 comment:
Dear Catherine,
I enjoy all your adventures and stories, as it makes it seem like you are closer to Miami and nearer to me.
I wish I could see Andrew as he plays soccer, and I will look forward to the pictures. It sounds like gatorade might help Andrew with the heat
Regarding the car doors being unlocked, as we would always tell our professor in class, especially after 8:30 p.m. and were having a hard time concentrating--we are having "cognitive overload" and it is time to think less. It is true and I think happens to most people. (Any excuse makes us happier.)
Have a happy day. I love you and miss you soooooooooo much.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment