I have finally regained my ability to walk! I was so excited when I actually made it down a flight of stairs without cringing in pain. However, I was dumb enough to go to that Bodypump class again today....and am again in serious pain. Bad news is that this is the bad kind of pain; the "I pulled something in the wrong area" kind of pain. As I was telling my friend how much my quads hurt after the workout she said, "I wasn't going to mention this, but you don't do squats the right way." So now I am doubly depressed because not only am I again crippled, I gained nothing from the 50 "wrong" squats I did. BOO! Okay, let's move on to the boys....
Every week the boys get to go to the library and bring home a book. Andrew came home excitedly with this week's pick. I glanced at the book and proclaimed, "Good job!" Tonight I decided that we should read the book together. It was then that I was able to fully see the title of the book: "Help Is On the Way: Helping Your Child cope with ADD".... ADD? .....A.D.D.!? You mean the disorder!? I was immediately struck with the fear that his teacher was trying to not so subtlety tell me something. (Andrew is not known to be the most calm, docile child). I nervously asked Andrew, "Did your teacher pick this for you?" Relief swept over me when he responded, "No, I picked it all by myself!" Still, the whole thing was, shall I say, funny?
This weekend was Jacob's very first soccer game. Scott was thrilled when I once again signed him up to coach. Actually, he was happy to do it and I did ask him beforehand. The one bummer is that the school does not have soccer for the Kindergartners until the Winter; so once again, Andrew gets to spend his morning watching Jacob. Alright, back to Jacob. Seeing as Scott was the coach, we decided to let Jacob pick the team name. His immediate response: "Medusa!" After giving him a puzzled look, I pointed out the fact that most boys don't want their team named after a woman - and that they other teams might make fun of them. Jacob was adamant that it be named Team Medusa. I finally tried to sway him by suggesting Team Hulk, since that is his most recent superhero obsession. He said he would think about it because it was a tough decision. However, he never gave me a final decision. Scott and I thought he would be okay with Team Hulk, so Scott went forward and emailed the team to announce the name. When Jacob found out we had gone with Team Hulk he freaked out! (And not in a good way). He was so upset that we did not go with Team Medusa. After realizing we would not email the team to tell them it had been re-named Team Medusa, he told us he would announce the "real name" at practice.
So...Saturday arrived and Scott had all the little boys gathered around him. He asked them all if they were fine with the name Team Hulk. Everyone was very enthusiastic about the name and then Jacob yelled, "No! It's Team Medusa!" (Cue the crickets chirping and a look of confusion on nine little faces). Then followed a chorus of, "No! We like Hulk", "What's a Medusa?", and "I want to be a Hulk!"
And that was Jacob's introduction to democracy....
The game went well, despite the fact that at half time the other team was up with a score of six to zero. We were all worried it was going to be a shut-out, when Jacob came up with two goals in the last five minutes of the game. He was ecstatic, and we were thrilled! I was so glad that the team with able to go home with some points on the board.
Below are some pictures of the first day of school. Sorry for the delay.
Starting the day with a very healthy breakfast of wheat germ. (Actually they are Coco Puffs - but what's the difference!)
Jacob is showing his protective side with this being Andrew's first day at the American School.
Self explanatory. I guess I could add that it is the first day of Second Grade.
2 comments:
the stories of the boys crack me up! your life brings joy to my soul! (in a good way.)
I love the new pictures of the boys, as well! so totally grown up!
I love you and miss you zord!
love, trisha
I'd like to see how you were doing your squats...what does your friend look like that took you to the gym?...you need to point out something that she does wrong...I love you and I think you do awesome squats!...You're the best! The boys look so cute and clean cut in their uniforms...so sweet!! I love you!!
Post a Comment