Thursday, September 4, 2008

Small in stature, strong in Spirit

I love my boys. 

At school, Andrew's (Kindergarten) teacher had the students listen to different types of music and draw pictures of the what the music sounded like to them.  The music varied from classical to Elton John. Andrew brought home his music pictures and I began looking at the pictures and reading what they said. Each picture had the song and an explanation of the drawing. 

Strauss, Auf der Jagd (Polka) = running
Elton John, Crocodile Rock - train
Pachelbel, Cannon = church
Enya, Only Time - Jesus singing 

And here is the picture of Jesus singing:


I personally love how Jesus is holding his arms. (He looks like he is singing opera). Anyway, the whole thing made me smile!

This picture then reminded me of a story I forgot to mention during the summer. Jacob has become the family censor of all films, shows, etc. His censorship came as a result of us accidentally purchasing a PG-13 cartoon of Ironman. Half way through the show I walked in the room to see a naked woman running around with fog covering certain strategic areas (frightening moment as a parent). The movie was immediately turned off and the disc was thrown away. Since then, Jacob has become very worried about a show's rating. While we were in Utah, Jacob went to his cousin, Sarah's, primary class on Sunday. (Sarah is a few years older than Jacob). The teacher decided to show a Book of Mormon video. When the show had ended, Jacob yelled, "What was that movie rated!? Was it rated PG-13? It was SO violent!" I think Sarah almost died of embarrassment. I am generally proud of Jacob's movie standards - except when he tries to censor what Scott and I go see on dates. (He was very disappointed when he overheard that I saw "The Dark Knight").

That very same Sunday, Andrew was in Andrea's (my sister-in-law) class with her little Sunbeams. Andrea told me that during the class Andrew piped in and said, "I live in Singapore. My parents are trying to sell me." (?????) As I have said many a time, I sometimes have no idea what is going on inside that head of his. 

Okay I have one more story for the day....

Here in Singapore, medical insurance does not exist (well, at least not like it does in the U.S.) We pay for all medical service out of pocket, then we are to send the original invoices to the insurance company who will then supposedly reimburse us. (We have yet to see one single penny....but I digress). Well, for one of my claims, I accidentally sent all my originals to the wrong country and despite my many attempts, I cannot locate the documents. The insurance company finally agreed to let me fax my invoice copies, but I had to include an explanation of what had happened on my cover letter. I typed my cover letter, explaining my condition and what had happened to the invoices. Since we do not have a fax machine of our own, I had to go to a mail/copy store to send my fax. I handed my documents to the lady and waited for her to load the forms and send them off. The fax machine was being a bit uncooperative, so it was taking a while for the pages to go through. The fax number was on my cover letter, and so she was intently looking at the page the entire time. 

"So, you have thyroid disease?"

Yes. The lady asked me if I had thyroid disease. Yes. A total stranger read my cover letter to keep herself occupied while she waited for the fax machine to work. Yes. I thought it was very strange of her to read my medical history without asking permission. No. Privacy does not exist here in Singapore.

2 comments:

david johnson said...

I love you Zord!
just thought you should know that you look very well-endowed in you family temple picture! I am impressed!!!!

I think Jacob should be monitoring someone else's movie ratings...that would be so great!

p.s. if Andrew is really for sale...I want him! ;-)

I love/miss you tons!

Matrina Barry said...

Dear Catherine,
I loved the pictures in Cambodia, and I thought of our trips to DisneyWorld when you described the heat. I also thought of the time we went to China and how you were the "star." All of you look fantastic and it made me miss all of you so much, especially Jacob and Andrew.
Your descriptive narrative makes me feel like I am with all of you. I always, always appreciate your humor. You always make me laugh!!
Yes, I really loved the Women's Temple--obviously the Cambodians believe in honoring women and that always makes me appreciate their culture.
I love you!!I love you!!I love you!!
All my love, Mom