The first three weeks of school have been a success. The boys are doing well and making new friends. The first day of school, Andrew came home with a drawing he had done at school with "BIRON" written on the top. I said, "Andrew, did you take someone else's paper?" He came over and explained to me that he accidentally wrote a "B" then had to draw a line to separate the "B" from his name, "RON". I pointed out that his name is not Ron, to which Andrew responded, "Yes I am! I am Ron Wesley!" (Yes, that is the red-headed sidekick in the Harry Potter books/movies). I told Andrew he can pretend to be Ron when he plays, but he needs to be Andrew at school. Two days later I received an email from Andrew's teacher:
Andrew keeps writing Ron on all his papers and keeps telling everyone to call him Ron. Should I be calling him Ron?
Few things are quite as embarrassing as writing a teacher to tell them your child is convinced he is a fictional character. However, I had the same problem when I was a child, so I can't get too frustrated. I think we have finally fixed the "Ron" thing and Andrew is now back to writing his actual name on his work. However, I am certain I only have a few weeks until he slips back into being a fictional character again.
Jacob is currently obsessed with Greek mythology, particularly stories about Medusa. He and his friends have decided to make a movie and Jacob informed them that I can make a "really cool" Medusa costume. I have never sewn one article of clothing in my life - but it is nice to have someone have such faith in me. I kind of disregarded the costume/movie thing, until one of the other parents approached me about it. She was so excited that the children wanted to make a movie and that she would provide her home to do the filming, and that she understood I would be making the costumes. (Let me just say, the one downfall of going to an international school is the accents - I can't tell if people are serious or joking). I initially thought she was being sarcastic, but to my surprise she was completely serious. What does one say in such a situation? Okay. Great! I'll go buy some fabric this weekend! It was also at the moment when I realized there are much cooler and more fun parents than me in the world. I guess I will have to make the stinking costume so Jacob won't think he has a dud mom. How about if I offer my apartment for the filming and she can sew the costumes!
I don't know if I have gained a ton of weight or what - but everyone around me keeps inviting me to work out with them. I think I am the fat friend who people like to take to the gym so they feel better about themselves. Well, Monday morning I did a deep water running class. They strap a foam belt on your waist, toss you in the deep end of a pool, and then make you run around in the water. While I am sure it was a good work-out, I felt like a complete idiot the entire time. It seemed like something I should be doing at a nursing home. The next day, I was invited by another friend to a powerpump or bodypump class (I still don't know what its called). I had no idea what it entailed, but went along anyway. I should have known I was in trouble when the equipment used during the class involved a step, free weights, a dumbell, a mat, and a really buff Asian chick. The first 20 minutes were spent doing squats with weights on our shoulders. I was seriously concerned my legs were going to give out five minutes into the class. I somehow survived the hour, but I still cannot walk like a normal human being. I am supposed to go to the class again tomorrow - should be interesting seeing as I can't even sit in a chair without severe pain in my legs.
I also had my first dental appointment in Singapore. It was the nicest dental experience of my life. I walked in and was greeted by name. I was then handed a list of movies and was asked to select which one I would like I watch during my cleaning. I was given a blanket to keep me warm while I was waiting, and then I got to kick back and watch the movie. The cleaning took about an hour and I was informed I had a cavity. My follow up appointment was scheduled and then I went to pay my bill. FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!? The problem is that the office is like a drug. I can't go back to coach after being in first class. I knew I should find another place to do my filling, but I really wanted to have one nice filling experience....so I went back. I shouldn't have, but I did. Again, it was the most luxurious time I have ever had in a dentist chair. However, for what I have paid in dental bills this week I could have spent a couple of nights in a really nice hotel. Okay, I'll quite next time!
Alright, I am going to end the stories here. I need to get to bed. I am back to waking up before sunrise again..and I don't want to be mean, tired Mommy tomorrow! However, I am writing a few funny things the kids said recently so I don't forget them....
Jacob: Indiana Jones is old. In the next movie he should have a cane and when he needs to fight the whip can come out of the cane.
Andrew: How do babies come out of your tummy by magic?
Jacob: (After I had asked him if he was excited to have more boys in his Primary class) They don't speak English.
Andrew: I found the girl I want to marry. She is in my class and has red hair with curls like me! (I then asked her name) I don't know.
Jacob: Why does everyone like the Olympics so much?
Andrew: Mom, your leg is wiggly. Look. (He then pushed on my calf to make it wobble). That's funny! (Yeah, I guess that powerpump class is a good idea after all)
3 comments:
So happy to have a new post to read! As always I love hearing your stories! You're kid's are hilarious! I'm also excited for that movie...gosh that would stink...in all your free time you get to make costumes...well halloween is around the corner, maybe some can be used for that too...maybe? The powerpump class sounds scary! And no I don't think you're the fat friend! I think you're the fit friend that everyone knows works out and will enjoy going to the gym! You don't give yourself enough credit! You look awesome! I love you!!!
best story EVER of Andrew as Ron. I love your life...it is so full of humor! I especially loved when Andrew announced that you brought him to Singapore to sell him..ha ha. (he has his mother's imagination!)
I love you and I miss you Zord! I hope all is well!
I always laugh at your posts because you paint such a picture with your writing. I love that Andrew is Ron Weasly. Your kids are so funny and exactly like you.
Post a Comment