Scott has become the king of travel. Luckily we have these 48 hour windows where we actually get to see each other every week or so. Initially he was scheduled to be gone on Mother's Day weekend, but he was able to get a leave of absence and come back to Singapore for a few days.
Mother's Day was great! I think my favorite part of the day was when we had "the talk" with Jacob (please note the level of sarcasm in my voice....not about Mother's Day, but about "the talk"). About a week ago, Scott and I received a clue that Jacob knew....well, something. Seeing as a majority of his information is supplied by eight to nine-year-old boys, we thought it best that he get the correct version from him parents. Needless to say, so glad to have THAT done with. I am sure this is a Mother's Day NONE of us will forget. Well, except maybe for Andrew since he was excused to watch cartoons during "the talk". Please do not think we are lame parents. We are just trying to control the information that enters Jacob's malleable, cute brain. Luckily he only used the word "gross" once.
I am wondering if this entry is going to stay posted for very long. I am extremely tired at the moment and am wondering if I may question my judgment about recounting the above story.
Why so tired, you ask? Well, I seem to have a major sleeping problem when the hubby is out of town. I get tired at night, but consistently seem to find myself up until well after midnight. After that routine for two weeks, it has finally caught up with me. I was seriously feeling the effects yesterday and resolved to be in bed by 10pm. Guess what. At 10pm, I was sprawled out on our floor cutting fabric. By 11pm, I was clattering away on the sewing machine. At 1am, my contacts had fogged over from being suctioned to my eyeballs for too long. I finally decided it was time to go to sleep. Too bad I had to wake up early this morning to take the boys to school because I had volunteered to go with Jacob's class to the zoo (joy).
I wish I had taken a picture of my eyes this morning. Totally blood-shoot! I looked as if I had been out clubbing/drinking the night before. Jacob's teacher was super impressed (sarcasm) when I told him, "No, I wasn't partying.... I was quilting." I hardly remember being at the zoo. I know I was responsible for four kids and that one of them was a little girl who decided to take charge. I happily let her plan which shows we were going to attend and which exhibits were the most urgent.
After the zoo, I had thirty minutes to get to a restaurant for a "going away lunch" for one of my closet friends out here. Seeing as there was no time to go home, my car became my changing room. I made sure no one was walking by and did a quick change-a-roo. I must not have checked well because right after I finished changing, the car I was facing pulled out to leave. I made it to the lunch on time and nearly free of B.O. (I did give myself a few squirts of eau de cologne to mask any possible odor).
After lunch I had to run to the grocery store to by lettuce for a dinner at the church tonight. I made it home just in time to get the boys off the bus. I then had exactly one hour to shred my lettuce, take a shower, blow-dry my hair, and get to the church. By the time I arrived at the function, the only thing keeping me standing were two Excedrin and a bottle of Coke Zero. I made it through the dinner and half the broadcast I was supposed to watch (I did not have enough money for my baby-sitter to stay for the whole thing).
Happyness (as Will Smith likes to spell it) - Scott just walked in the front door!!! Gotta run!
4 comments:
haha oh wow your stories are hilarious! i sure do miss hearing these in person! i hope you guys are doing well!
I am tired after reading that entry! Try and get caught up will ya? Way to go on the whole "talk" thing. I am wondering when that day will come for us!
Catherine,
I love your expressive writing, your perspective, and your wonderful boys Jacob and Andrew. I am so happy Scott is home again!!
Always remember how awesome you are and how much I love you and miss you!! Sitting with you by the pool in Cambodia while the boys played, talking and laughing was "The Best!!" I ALWAYS enjoy/love being with you.
All my love, Mom
Boy they are getting younger and younger for "the talk" now! Andrew (now 11) just had the talk this past year. He had no clue about the whole thing. Kind of amazing at 11 that they aren't talking about it that much at school - or least around him. Haley was about the same age. Seems like 5th grade was the "magical" year for us so far.
Catherine, get some sleep!
Post a Comment