Monday, June 1, 2009

May Madness

As we approach the end of another school year, my life has taken on an incredible amount of activities accompanied by heavy doses of stress and absentmindedness. In this entry, you will be taken on a brief tour of the insanity that has become my current lifestyle. This morning I realized things were getting out of control when I stiffed the hospital. While most people "dine and ditch" - I am now guilty of the "bleed and flee". My endocrinologist sent me to have some blood work done at the lab and was very specific about the fact that I needed to pay the lab. Right after they drew my blood, I ran down to my car and left the premises. About a mile down the road, my phone started to ring; it was the lab telling me I left without paying. Whoops. However, I had no time to return to the hospital so I asked if I could stop by tomorrow and pay. Gotta love Singapore, they had no problem with that. So trusting. 

Alright, so on to life becoming hectic. Last Saturday we held an early birthday party for Andrew. When we booked the party, we did not realize it was the same day as Student Led Conferences (a day where the students take their parents around the campus and show them all the things they have done throughout the year). It was truly impressive to see all the boys have done and accomplished over the past nine months. It was very fun.... but very time consuming and very tiring. After the conferences, we ran home and grabbed all the things for the party. 

For his party, Andrew wanted a cake of Andrew. He even drew the picture that he wanted on the top of the cake. At least it made decorating the cake a cinch. 

The other cinch was the fact that we had the party at one of those places where they take care of EVERYTHING! Score! So easy and the kids had an absolute blast. 


Well, Andrew's party was the kick-off to a week of craziness. Tuesday I signed up to help with the Kindergarten Field Day. As you can imagine, Field Day consists of the entire grade spending a few hours out on the football field doing all sorts of various sporting events and water actives. I was assigned to run a station called, "Musical Buckets". Basically it is musical chairs, but instead of chairs, the kids have to sit in giant buckets filled with water. The kids loved it and I thought it was super fun until I noticed that some of the buckets were getting foamy when we would refill them. Seeing as I did not squirt any soap into the said buckets, there is only one other thing I can imagine would cause foam. Just think: small kids running around, drinking lots of water because of the heat, and then sitting in a bucket full of water. Ewww! Gross!

Just as Field Day was drawing to a close, we all heard a loud clap of thunder. Within seconds, there was a torrential down pour. My car was parked about 25 yards away, and by the time I was in the driver's seat, it looked as if I had taken a shower in my clothes. The rest of the day consisted of shuttling some friends around the island to various activities, followed by a very late baseball practice for Jacob.

The next day (Wednesday), not only was I signed up to help with the 2nd Grade Field Day, but also to go on a filed trip with Andrew's class afterwards. Yet again, I was assigned another water activity. Despite my best efforts to stay dry, a couple of buckets of water made their way in my direction. Right when that Field Day ended, I ran to my car and made my way to the mall to meet up with Andrew's class. We all took the monorail to the small man-made island located of the south coast of Singapore. The plan was to take the kids to the butterfly park, then take a bus to the beach where we would have lunch and play. Can I just say, it was one of those abnormally hot days in Singapore. I was so thrashed by the time we got to the beach that I wanted to just lay under a tree and take a nap. Andrew was so tired that he asked if he could come home with me after the field trip rather than head all the way back to school. He was so excited when he was the only kid who got off the bus to go home with a parent. And as you can guess, Jacob was so NOT excited when he found out that Andrew came home early. 

The rest of Wednesday was crazy.... but in a boring way so I will spare you those details. 

Thursday we all took the day off; Scott did not go to work, we kept the boys home from school, and we went to the beach. Just as our cute little toes touched the sand, the stereotypical thunder clap occurred and the heavens poured down upon us. Not to be deterred, Andrew and I still went out to fly our kite and Scott and Jacob started up a game of soccer - all while another expat family and a few locals looked on with confusion from under various shelters. 

After the beach we took the boys to see "Monsters vs. Aliens" and then had dinner at Jacob's favorite dim sum restaurant. All in all, it was a great day. 

Friday, I left the house at 7:30am, and did not return until 8pm. Here is the condensed version of the day: took boys to the bus, came home to change, dropped Scott off at the MRT, went to exercise, changed, went to doctor's appointment (which involved me being herded into one small elevator with 15 other people and having the doors open to masked men accosting us with thermometers), ran to the grocery store to get food for dinner, dropped off food at the house (was only there for 5 minutes so that does not count as coming home), met a friend for lunch, ran to the toy store to get a gift for a birthday party that evening, went to the school to get the boys, drove to the other side of the island to drop Andrew off at a pool party.  My intent was to drop Andrew off at the party and then head home. However, when I arrived I was shocked to discover it was a giant swimming complex. I am talking four large pools, a kiddie area, slides, etc. I was already a bit apprehensive knowing this was a party for Kindergartners. However, my apprehension turned to paranoia when the dad of the birthday boy arrived with only the family "helper". Two adults for how many kids? Yea, I'll be staying for this one. 

By the time I got home that evening it was painful to stand. However, I still had to make treats for Jacob's end of season party the next day, and a dessert for my friend's going away party. 

Saturday was Jacob's last baseball game. As team mom, I had arranged for the team to meet for a small party afterwards where we would all have some treats and hand out the trophies. Mid way through the game, a thought suddenly popped into my head: I LEFT THE TROPHIES AND TEAM PICTURES AT HOME!!!!!!! Unlike the U.S., we live no where near the school. Scott grabbed the keys and ran to the car. Can I say it was really hard to enjoy the game after that? And did I mention that Jacob's coach is an extremely nice, over-organized micromanager who could easily become annoyed by such idiocy. And did I mention that Scott's manager's manger is one of the assistant coaches for the team and his darling son is one of the players. Yes....very, very, VERY stressful. 

Scott was the hero and somehow made it back five minutes after the party had started. 

That afternoon consisted of two more parties. Three hours into the second party I was so tired my vision started to blur. That was when we decided to head home. Don't remember the rest of the day.

I think I will end it here. This entry is getting way too long. Just four more days until school is over. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can .........

No comments: