There is no way I am going to be able to give a detailed account of the past month and have any hope that those reading this will persevere until the end. Our journey to Cambodia will be a bit more detailed seeing as I have pictures to remind me of what happened. Here is the recap of my trip with Jacob, Andrew, and my parents.
As you can see, the weather was true to form and Cambodia was sweltering. Andrew was walking around making this face. I had to capture it on film.
However, for some bizarre reason, our tour guide took us in through the back entrance. It is not quite so stunning from this point of view. Those are my parents making the trek up the path. Look how in love they are :)

This butterfly became very attached to Andrew while we were walking. Out of no where it just landed on his hand. Jacob wanted the butterfly to come to him, but the butterfly wouldn't comply.
While Jacob was trying to lure the butterfly to his side, it fluttered into the air, then settled on Andrew's ear. No, Jacob did not find it as funny as I.

Finally the butterfly conceded and gave Jacob some TLC. (Looking at it now I think the thing was a moth).

Inside Angkor Wat. The boys think it is fun to pose like the women carved into the stone.
A group shot inside the temple grounds. All of us were very hot and fading by this point in the afternoon.
My parents in front of the temple. This is the view one is supposed to have when approaching the temple. I still feel awful that we came in the wrong way. By this point we were all so hot and tired it was hard to appreciate where we were.

After Angkor Wat we all went back to the hotel for some lunch, a/c, and a short nap. Then my mom, the boys, and I all set off for some more temple trekking.

This is Bintan. There are four faces carved into each of those pillars. It is quite spectacular, but I do not think this photo gives it justice.

Andrew and Jacob raced up to the top of the "three elephants". My mom immediately went up to join them (I was way too tired). Unfortunately you cannot see Jacob in the picture I took of the three of them so I posted this one. However, I just realized Andrew is not even in this picture. Oh well. Andrew had regrets about going up there - he did not realize how high up he was until he peaked over the edge.

Day two started off with us visiting the Women's Temple. The boys were extra excited because Chetana was able to join us that morning.

I had to take a picture with my children in front of the Women's Temple. Jacob is super heavy now and I had a hard time holding him up. Wish I had taken off the glasses. Oh well (again).

The next stop was that cool temple that is all over-grown with trees. Look how tiny Jacob and Andrew look! It's like I have Oopma Loompas for children.

Having my parents here was awesome. It was very sad when they had to leave. However, we did not have much time to mourn, seeing as the "morning" they left it was under slightly stressful conditions. On their tickets was printed: Departure: 200. None of us realized that was according to military time. We all went to bed that night thinking they were scheduled to leave at 2pm the next day. At 12:30am, I was awaken by a tapping on my bedroom door. I answered to find my mom explaining that the flight was leaving in less than two hours. We literally threw their bags into the car and flew to the airport. Luckily they made it on time and were able to head home. However, I would have been more than happy had they missed their flight and had to stay longer.
I honestly cannot believe that April is almost over! Where did this month go!?!?!
Let me go into the recesses of my brain to try to remember any major things that the boys have done during the past few weeks.
(1) Both boys started baseball. Jacob is playing for the Rangers, and Andrew is a Pirate. They are both enjoying playing. However, on those extremely hot days Andrew's motivation to stay on the field decreases ten fold.
(2) Jacob participated in a walk-a-thon to raise money for children in Indonesia. The event was held by and only for the 2nd Grade (it is one of the "cool" things about being a Second Grader). I don't think Jacob has ever raised money before because he was very excited about the whole concept. I had the opportunity to participate with him and we walked almost three miles in the hour and fifteen minutes we were alloted. It was really fun to be able to share that experience with him.
(3) Easter! That was very fun. There were absolutely NO plastic eggs anywhere on this island, so the Easter Bunny had to improvise this year. He/she made sugar cookies cut out and decorated like Easter eggs which were wrapped in cellophane and hidden around the house. The candy was wrapped in saran wrap and tied with ribbon. I thought the cookies were a great idea until I realized that it tipped the kids off to the fact that Mommy and Daddy may be the Easter Bunny. I tried to change my recipe, but they could still detect the similarity. Telling them that the Easter Bunny borrowed my recipe seemed to quell their inquiries.
Well, I think I am going to end it here. I will do better about posting more regularly. I am still shocked that time is going by so quickly.
2 comments:
glad to see you blogging again...you have so many fun things going on! It is great to hear about them. Hope all is well. I have been missing the oh so funny Catherine in my life...wishing you were closer! :)
Catherine,
This brings back so many happy memories--The Best of Times!! It was awesome being with all of you and I treasure each moment--Fun!! Fun!! Fun!! and more Fun!!
All my love, Mom
Post a Comment