Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Freaky February

So, the rest of February was absolutely nuts. We had quite an interesting time attempting to host Jacob's birthday party. I must start by saying that Singapore has been having one of the longest dry spells on record; it has not rained here for weeks. Jacob had decided a while back that he wanted to have his birthday party at Forest Adventure. (It is that obstacle corse in the treetops). His party was scheduled for 3pm on the 21st of February.

The morning of the 21st there were a few fluffy white clouds in the sky. By 1:30pm, the clouds had turned dark gray. At 2pm, the rain started to fall. We called Forest Adventure and they told us there there was heavy thundering and lightning at their location. Scott and I decided it best to reschedule rather than move the venue. We were somehow able to reach all the parents on time and they were all (shockingly) available the next weekend. 

Fast forward to the morning of the 28th. We woke up early and headed off to Andrew's last soccer game. I have to mention, Andrew did a great job his last game and scored his very first goal! After the game we had his end of the year party and then went home for some recovery time before Jacob's festivities. 

Like clock work, an hour and a half before the party the sky turned a menacing gray. We found that the "Pink Panther" was showing at the same time as the party, but decided to head to the park and hope for the best. Just as we got on the freeway, I received a phone call from Forest Adventure telling me that it had started to rain and they were closing the corse. I frantically texted all the other parents and asked if they would be able to meet us that the movie theater instead. I was amazed at how accommodating everyone was. 

We rushed to the movie theater, and I ran in to find a sea of people; bodies on top of bodies. My first concern was that the movie was going to sell out before I could get tickets. Then I would be stuck with eight little boys in a mall...NOT GOOD. My panic led me to gnaw off all my finger nails while waiting in line. Luckily we were able to get seats, albeit they were three rows from the screen. Before the movie started, I told all the boys they could get a box of popcorn and a drink. I took the orders and then went to get the food.

Seeing as I had eight boxes of popcorn and eight drinks, I brought the popcorn in first. When I handed it to the first boy, all he said was , "Where's my drink!?" Now, this was not a cute, polite "Where's my drink"..... it was more of a, "Where's my drink, you idiot!?" I honestly wanted to have words with the boy, but two things prohibited me: the fact that the movie had started and that the boy next to him responded the exact same way. What charming children.

The movie was okay and the boys seemed to enjoy themselves. Well, at least I thought they did. While we were walking out of the theater I said, "Wasn't that fun!?"

Where's My Drink, Idiot responded with, "NO! That was SO boring! I almost fell asleep." By that point I was done (namely with him). Unfortunately I had told all the parents to meet us at Burger King were we would be eating lunch and having birthday cake. Where's My Drink, Idiot's mom was waiting at Burger Kind when we arrived. I was hoping she would take her little angle home immediately, but he demanded some fries and  drink before leaving. I turned to his mom and ask if she wanted him to have something a little more substantial. She said, "No. Fries and a drink are fine." I bought Where's My Drink, Idiot his fries and soda only to have him eat one fry and then proclaim he was too full to eat anything else. Honestly, if Jacob even thinks of asking that kid to come over to our home once he will be turned down faster than the question could leave his lips.

I must say, the rest of the kids were actually well-behaved and I think they all had a good time. I still feel bad that Jacob could not have his party where he wanted, but he was so great about how everything turned out. Not once did he complain that we had to see a movie instead. I am truly blessed to have him for a son.

Since I have not written for so long, I am going to wrap up this entry with some of the funny highlights from the month of February.

(1) As I was loading groceries into the fridge, I was pulling out things that had been in there for a while and were no longer good. In the back of the fridge, I noticed what I thought was a grape stem. I picked it up and came to find it was a prettified baby lizard!!!! Ewwwwww!!!! The benefits of my discovery was I had no desire to eat for the next 24 hours and I did a very deep, chemical-filled cleaning of the fridge.

(2) Andrew can sometimes be a little emotional. During his Mandarin lesson a few weeks ago I heard the Mandarin teacher (who speaks very little English) say, "Jacob, you good. Andrew, no good!" Andrew tore out of the room and ran upstairs. I had to go up and tell him she did not mean it as it sounded and that he needed to not be so sensitive. After the lesson, the teacher was trying to express the fact that Andrew is very emotional. However, due to her limited English all she could say was, "Andrew so angry.... like girl." It took everything in me not to burst out laughing when she said that.

(3) Andrew has also been dealing with a very bad cough for the last few weeks. I finally took him in to see the doctor this past Friday. An hour later we left the office with a nebulizer and three perceptions. While that is not funny, we have found that Andrew loves cough medicine. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited he gets when it is time for the administration of his meds; he licks his lips and claps his hands. Should this make me nervous? Yesterday he was twirling around the family room after partaking of his cough elixir.  Weird. 

3 comments:

Matrina Barry said...

Catherine,

Many adventures in the Barlow household!! I am so proud of Jacob and his positive attitude about the change of plans for his birthday. What a wonderful young man--he is awesome!!
Congrats to Andrew on his first goal--that is great and I am sure he had a big smile on his face, as well as smiles from all of you!!

I am looking forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks for Jacob's baptism. We will have fun, fun, fun together!!

All my love,
Mom

Allen's said...

Way to roll with the punches and bite your tounge with that naughty little boy! I am glad everything turned out ok!

lynette said...

1. I thought about you last weekend after I got off the phone with you and about 30 minutes later I heard the LOUDEST thunder! I'm glad that you had a plan B and you didn't have to reschedule again.

2. Seriously can't stand spoiled kids!

3. Did you scream when you discovered it was actually a lizard! I'm dying!

4. HAHAHAHA--"Andrew so angry--like girl." That's hilarious!

5. That must be the best cough syrup--EVER!