Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Great to be Eight

So, my little boy is now eight years old. I honestly cannot believe it. I remember when my oldest nephew was baptized and I thought my brother was SO OLD; that having an eight year old meant you were a serious parent! Well, Jacob has come of age. Guess I am now old and am a serious parent. 

Jacob's birthday fell on a Sunday, so the family celebrations were held on Saturday (his birthday party with friends is not until February 21st). We told Jacob he could do anything he wanted that day. Our first activity was a family hike through the jungles of Singapore. About 0.2 kilometers into the walk, Andrew kept complaining of fatigue and expressing a desire to go home. As he was lagging behind, Scott and Jacob took off up the trail. A couple minutes later, Andrew was none to thrilled to have his father and brother jump out from behind a tree and yell, "Boo!" However, once Andrew I served them with payback, he had recovered and it became the afternoon's game.

After our hike, the family headed to the movie theater to see Inkheart. The boys and I had seen it the week prior, but Jacob decided he wanted his father to see it as well. I thought the movie was kind of lame (both times), but the boys thought it was awesome. (I now understand why my parents would groan every time I wanted to watch The Never Ending Story). 

Dinner consisted of dumplings at a Chinese restaurant that Jacob loves. Scott and I tried desperately to convince Jacob to partake of the buffet at the club, but he would not be deterred. No one but Jacob was thrilled about the meal...but he was the birthday boy. So, pork dumplings it was. 

Sunday was a great day for Jacob. Everyone at church wished him a happy birthday - and he had the chance to open presents. His request for dinner that night was steak and chocolate cake. This time, we were all happy with the choice of menu. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACOB!!!!


2 comments:

david johnson said...

JACOB CHRISTOPHER BARLOW!!!!!
HAPPY 8TH BIRTHDAY TO YOU....we love you sooooo much!
I am glad that you got our message on your birthday. But, what I really and truly wish is that we could be with you to wish you a happy birthday in person.

We miss seeing you and having fun with you! we are SO VERY EXCITED TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU THIS SUMMER! we can''t wait!

happy birthday JACOB! WE LOVE YOU!
LOVE, trisha, blake, david, xanga, lauren, and evan...pongo, and lola

Matrina Barry said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JACOB, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JACOB, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JACOB, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! My little grandson is growing up so fast and you are such a smart, amazing, talented, athletic, super fantastic young man.

One of my happiest experiences was with you at Temple Square last year when you wanted to see the Christus statue, and you led all the other grandchildren to sit at the feet of the Savior to be near him. You are a spiritual giant and a great example to all of us.

I am looking forward to being at your baptism in Singapore and I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO SEE YOU!! YOU ARE TOTALLY AWESOME AND I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART.

I LOVE YOU!! I LOVE YOU!! I LOVE YOU!! YOU ARE "THE BEST!!"

All my love,
Mommy Baba/Grandmother

(sorry this is so late as I was visitng my very sick sister and her very ill husband in Canada)