Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fun With Terrorists

As the boys and I were walking to school this morning, Andrew pipes up, "Yesterday we had a lock-down drill at school!" I asked what that was. He and Jacob got all excited and told me that they have to hide from the principals. After I said, "You do?" Jacob went on to explain that the principals pretend to be terrorists and go around banging on the doors and trying to get into the classrooms. The children all have designated places to hide and have to be sure that no one can see them through the windows. 

Should I be comforted by the fact that my kids think terrorists drills are fun? I will be positive and say yes. I have to admit, having a massive game of hide and seek sounds a lot more fun that the fire drill days of old where we were marched out onto a field in the blazing sun and had to stand there sweating until someone decided to ring a bell. 

Hmmmm....trying to think of any other interesting news in the Barlow family this week. 

The boys and I are into week two of our Mandarin classes.  The teacher continues to leave a freaky blonde doll at our home. It wears baby clothes (which are quite dirty) and it sheds hair all over the place. (I am sure that if I were to look, the doll would read "Made in China"). She used it during the first class to go over the parts of the body with the boys. We all hate it and want it to go away, but she says it is a good learning tool. Anyway, the scary, balding female Chucky doll has been banished to the floor in between  the computer desk and a chair. However, every time I see the stupid thing I jump in the air because I think somehow a baby has been abandoned in my home. 

In my case, these past two weeks have taught me that I am completely incapable of making certain sounds with my mouth. A solid twenty minutes was spent with the teacher and I each making these prolonged "grunting" noises at each other. After all that work I still can't make the sound the right way. 

Scott spent his third (and hopefully) final week in Thailand.....well, for this month at least. He was able to catch an early flight yesterday evening and arrived home to our surprise (but mostly mine) by 8pm. I say I was surprised because the home was in a slight state of disarray at 7:55pm and I thought I had plenty of time to have everything in order by the time Scott walked through the door (sometime around 11:30pm). I was NOT expecting him to walk through the door when laundry was piled on the couch, homework was scattered throughout the family room, dirty dishes were on the table, and our bed partially stripped. Thank heavens he loves me for more than my housekeeping skills. Either way, it was worth it just to have him home again. 

4 comments:

Matrina Barry said...

Catherine,
Wow, it is hard to respond to a terrorist game, but it does remind me of going to the basement in my grade school to prepare for a possible attack from the communists

I am still laughing at listening to you pronounce Chinese words, and you laughing at my even worse pronounciation. I will have to stick with learning Russian.
I am soooooo happy Scott is home again with you, Jacob, and Andrew. You family is complete again.
I miss you sooooooooo much.
Love, Mom

Christa said...

Tell Jacob Happy Birthday for us. Sorry we are a day late! Hope he had a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh!!! Fire drills at MCDS . . . something I had blocked out of my mind for all these years, and now the memories have returned!! I would have much rather played "hide from the terrorist" in an air conditioned classroom than an MCDS fire drill. At least we now know that Andrew and Jacob will be safe when they return to the schools U.S.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh!!! Fire drills at MCDS . . . something I had blocked out of my mind for all these years, and now the memories have returned!! I would have much rather played "hide from the terrorist" in an air conditioned classroom than an MCDS fire drill. At least we now know that Andrew and Jacob will be safe when they return to the schools U.S.