I was a bit tentative and worried about how Christmas would be in Singapore. Living in California for three years taught me that "Merry Christmas" is not always a politically correct term to use in public (or at least in the public schools). So you could imagine what I was expecting when I was moved to a country whose population is predominantly Buddhist and is only 8% Christian. Here is what we got:
On November First, the entire country began to set out decorations. All the major streets are draped in lights, Christmas trees, and ornaments. An enormous sign hangs over the most famous street in the country that reads "MERRY CHRISTMAS". Every single department, grocery, and clothing store plays Christmas music 24 hours a day...and not just the commercial carols, they also play songs that refer to the birth of our Savior. When I shop at a store or have a something delivered, the service people always wish me a "Merry Christmas". When I ordered pizza tonight, guess what was printed on the pizza box - "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". It is truly and incredible and uplifting experience being here this time of year. The only thing that Singapore was not able to turn into a celebration of Christmas is the weather (although a number of the malls have tried to fight that fact by pumping out fake snow for the kids to play in).
We were all excited to decorate the house. We had brought along a fake tree knowing that getting a hold of a real one may prove problematic. Scott had forgotten this fact and wound up buying another Christmas tree from a co-worker at Chevron. Needless to say, the boys were thrilled when they realized they got a tree for their room. It is kind of a tight squeeze getting around the house - but I love it!
Of coarse, we also had to kick of Christmas by making some gingerbread men. We made them after church on day, and, as usual, I had not had anything to eat before leaving. I was so excited by all the cookies, I ate until I was physically ill. (I still cannot say or hear the word "gingerbread" without dry heaving). I really wanted to make a huge gingerbread gag! house this year - but may have to put that one off for another 12 months. Gingerbread gag! making was then followed by the unpacking of the Christmas movie collection. For the past three weeks, the only shows that have played in our home have been Christmas themed. I think we have seen "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" at least ten times.....I guess I should be worried about how much we watch it since Andrew and Jacob will now quote lines from the movie out of the blue.
Anyway, was just feeling the Christmas spirit today and wanted to share some of our experiences with you. I hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas season!!!
3 comments:
Dear Catherine,
I love the Merry, Happy Christmas spirit of Singapore!! I also enjoy knowing you have two Christmas trees in your home--what a great Christmas spirit for all of you. It does make me miss you soooooooo much, and it reminds me of decorating our tree and yard together, as we prepared to celebrate the birth of the Savior.
It is always Christmas in our home as soon as the Nativity scene is on the table, with a poinsettia plant and Christmas tree next to it. My favorite scripture: "For unto YOU is born this day in the city of David, a Saviour which is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:11) How blessed we are to have the Saviour in our lives.
I love you!! I love you!! I love you!!
All my love, Mom
Go Singapore! How awesome that they go all out to celebrate Christmas
there! =] Now you don't have to feel like you are depriving your kids of all the Christmas fun. You are very blessed.
We got your christmas card today....so fun! I loved to read about all of things you guys are doing/learned. I think my favorite line is "Made in China" implies a warning! Jared and I got a good laugh out of that one. Hope you guys have a great Holiday!
Post a Comment