Thursday, December 11, 2008

Are you going to cook that?


This week I learned not to buy any type of mouthwash in Singapore. I invested in a bottle of Listerine and began my mouth was regime Thursday night. It was an abnormally painful experience while I was swishing - but I thought that was only because I had not used Listerine for such a long while. The next morning I partook of the mouthwash again. By that afternoon, my tongue felt somewhat numb and my mouth was completely dry. I drank gallons of water trying to reinstate my former self with absolutely no success. It has now been six days and I am still not back to normal.

That evening I read the bottle to see if Clorox could possibly be one of the active ingredients. Two warning flags popped out immediately: (1) Approved by the Singapore Dental Association, and (2) Made in Thailand. First off, no one visits Singaporean dentists here...from what I have heard, they are to be avoided at all costs. Most people pay high premiums to see someone who was trained in another country. So, having the Singapore Dental Association approve anything is kind of worthless. The "made in Thailand" section of the bottle made me realize I had probably bought some kind of knock-of version of Listerine. Either way, it was as unpleasant and (up 'til now) long-lasting experience. 

Friday, was not only a bad day in the dental health department, but in the lunch department as well.  About a month ago, a group of us women decided to get together for lunch before we all left for the holiday break. They decided to go to a place called P.S. Cafe - a place where I had never eaten, but had heard great things about. The night before we went, my one friend (who was coming as well) was raving about their tuna salad. She kept telling me how great it was and that I had to try it. 

The next morning I skipped breakfast in anticipation of this incredible lunch...I wanted to have some extra calories handy so I could splurge. By the time we got to the restaurant I was absolutely starving. I wound up sitting next to this same friend, and, wanting to emulate her (she has a perfect body, by the way) I ordered the tuna salad along with her. Thirty minutes later, a plate came out with four RAW filets of tuna with someone's lawn clippings crammed in the middle. "It's raw!?" came out of my mouth before I could stop myself. (Side note: I am a huge fan of sushi. However, I have a difficult time eating any type of raw fish when I am sitting outside in 90 degree weather - it seemed like a conflict of interest.) 

Raw tuna filets on an empty stomach = very sad Catherine. I was only able to force down one filet before I had to throw in the towel. It would not have been so bad if my meal had not cost $37 (Sorry, Scott - I know I left out that part of the story when I told you about it).

Kid news: yesterday was Jacob's holiday concert. It was an evening event and all the children were dressed up. I have to say, they did a fantastic job. Jacob would not talk to entire drive to the school because he, "didn't want to hurt his voice." The two best songs of the evening were a medley/duet of "Silent Night" and "Away in a Manger", and another compilation of some Christmas songs that were set to disco music (I know "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was one of the songs). The kids even kid the move where you point your finger in the air and then cross it over your body and point it at the floor. (Is there an official name for that dance move? I would imagine so). Jacob was very animated (as usual) and I was very proud of him. I wanted to post some pictures, but it was so dark in the auditorium that none of the pictures turned out very well :.(

Well, it's been a good week.  

3 comments:

lynette said...

thanks for the heads up on listerine and dentists--i'm making appointments right now for when we are back in the states!

Allen's said...

Wow. Sounds like a great couple of days. I am not much of a fan of raw fish slabs either. We got your christmas card today...so cute! Thanks for staying in touch.

Matrina Barry said...

Catherine, Your comment "lawn clippings crammed in the tuna's mouth" made me laugh out loud--very descriptive and humorous!!
Jacob saving his voice for the school performance indicates there is going to be another "star" in the family. It also was very tender to picture him doing that. It is always a treat to read your blogs.
All my love, Mom