Monday, June 2, 2008

Honesty

Nothing like the honesty of a child to keep you humble....

Last week, as I was walking Jacob to his bus, I brought up his end of the year school party. I had told Jacob's teacher I would bring in some treats for the kids. Wanting to include my son in the process, I asked if he would like me to make chocolate chip cookies or (my very personal favorite) "star" cookies. (Star cookies are sugar cookies made with cream cheese and almond extract - heavenly). Jacob tells me he would like me to make the chocolate chip cookies. After a pause he adds, "Your star cookies kind of make me want to throw up." Thanks for the honesty.

Other news this week, I finally have some Asian to me. My endocrinologist officially diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Disease. Okay, I don't know if it is actually "Asian", but it sounds Japanese to me...so I'll take it. What is Hashimoto's? Well, my body has decided it doesn't like my thyroid and has decided to launch and attack on it. It's not a huge deal; meaning it's not life threatening (well, I don't think it is)....but it does explain why I am tired all the time and continue to gain weight (I refuse to accept the fact that my addiction to banana ice-cream has anything to do with that fact). Anyway, I got an increase of my thyroid medication and  a huge (about 2x3 foot) xray of my thyroid as a consolation prize. I think I may frame it and hang it up on the wall. One other funny thing was when I got my lab reports back. There was a test for something for which the acceptable range was 0-64. My number, printed in bright red, was over 1600! Talk about exceeding the limit.

Scott and I went on a date this Friday. We both wanted to see the new "Indiana Jones" movie. Wow! I had no idea a movie could be so unbelievably lame and stupid. For those of you who have seen it, you will know of what I am speaking....for those of you who haven't, save your money. This thing isn't even worth a rental. When we walked out of the movie, Scott said, "I think Speilberg is losing his mind." I couldn't agree more. How do you screw up and Indiana Jones movie? 

Saturday was wild. We went to Jacob's last baseball game and then stayed to have his party. I was in charge of presenting the team gift to the coaches. I made a short speech of how great they were and how much we appreciated all their hard work (blah, blah, blah) and then went to pull their cards out of my purse. I could not find the stupid things. I kept blabbering on, with nothing to say, digging deeper and deeper into my purse. I was hoping that everyone would just applaud to mark the end of my speech, but they just stood their staring, waiting for me to find the stupid things. After about two awkward minutes, I finally fished the gift cards out of my purse and shoved them at the coaches. 

We then ran Andrew over to his friend Johnny's house, for Andrew's first official play-date (a very exciting fact for Andrew). I then went to the toy store with Jacob to buy a birthday present for the party that he and Andrew were to attend in the next two hours. I then went back to get Andrew, and dropped the boys off at the birthday party. There was some entertainment for the kids for the first hour, and then I was to return for the swimming portion of the party to help supervise the kids. During my hour break, Scott convinced me to go exercise with him. Since I only had twenty minutes to spare in the gym, I pumped like a mad woman on the stationary bike. I then ran home to discover I had fifteen minutes to get cleaned up and back to the party. I took a quick shower, got dressed, and hopped in the car. 

At the party, I had the worst attack of post-exercise sweat ever! I was perspiring like I was still freaking exercising, but I was just standing still. Not wanting the helper standing next to me to think I was having some kind of attack, I felt the need to announce I had just been exercising. I don't think she had any idea what I said, because she just smiled nervously and said, "Okay."

By the time we had finished with the boys' activities and had returned home, it was 5:30pm. After Scott and I put the boys down, we had dinner delivered, then had a picnic in the family room while we watched a movie. Perfect way to end the day.

Today's funny story: Tonight we read about the sons of Mosiah, who gave up being king to serve missions. After we read the chapter, Scott and I pointed out what incredible young men they were to give up so much power to serve the Lord. Jacob quickly pointed out, "I would do that!" We told Jacob how happy that made us, and then we turned to Andrew. "Andrew, would you be a king or would you serve a mission." With a huge smile on his face, Andrew replied, "I would be a king!"  

"Why would you be a king?"

"Because I love queens! Actually, I love princesses!" 

So there you have it. This week as a mother I have learned that my cookies make my seven-year-old want to toss his, and my four-year-old wants to be a king so he can get the ladies. Frightening!

 

2 comments:

Treehouse News said...

OK, I'm still laughing at Andrew's queen/princess comment. Colin is sitting on my lap laughing too, though I'm pretty sure he's just reacting to me.

You should post your star cookie recipe. I want to try them, despite Jacob's feelings on them. We're about out of chocolate chips, so have to find alternative cookies for the next three weeks. (Because three weeks without cookies is just not an option.)

I hope your medication works well. Thyroid issues are miserable from what I've heard.

Matrina Barry said...

Catherine, I love your news, your humor, your very own "reality show"
I know Jacob enjoys your desserts and so do I!! Yes, I laugh at all the Barlow happenings. Yes, I know your medication will work and your will feel better.
I love you!! I love you!! I love you!! I can hardly wait to see you and the boys. Love, Mom