Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Party Goes On

Well, we survived the party on Saturday...although it did take us about 2 solid days to recover. And as with all parties which involve first graders, there were a few memorable moments. 

We arrived at the American Club a solid 20 minutes before the guests were to arrive. We made our way to the bowling alley, and were then ushered to the room where all the non-bowling activities would take place. We walk in the room to find that one of the little girls is already there. I asked if she had been waiting long. Answer, "About 5 minutes." Seeing as no one else would be there for quite sometime I engage in some small chit-chat with Asia (that's her name). I asked if her parents were at the club or if they had just dropped he off. Response (and this is a direct quote), "My parents are at the spa. My dad is getting a massage and my mom is getting waxed." Alrighty! Not sure if I wanted that much info, but thanks for the scoop.

After about an hour of 21 kids bowling, they were ready for some pizza. I guess no one had breakfast because the room was deadly silently as these small bodies inhaled their food. They 
also ate extremely fast....so fast, in fact, we had nothing to do for the next 50 minutes except serve cake. We attempted to delay the cake serving as long as possible, but, like a crazy mob, the kids had become wildly engaged in some sort of activity where they beat each other with the helium balloons that lined the room. After someone was injured, we decided to serve dessert. Again, the food went into the mouths faster than we could get it on the plates, and the kids were back to the "ballon-beating" game. We asked the employees (who were in charge of the party) if they had any games to play in situations such as the one we currently found ourselves in. They looked at us as if this had never happened before in the American Club's 51 year history. Scott and I decided it was time to play musical chairs. Luckily the game was a huge success and was in progress when the parents began showing up to retrieve their children. (I would have loved to see their reaction had they shown up a few minutes earlier when the children were attacking each other with the plastic decor). 

Sunday, was Stake Conference at church. We wound up in on of the overflow rooms which turned out to be the nursery. It started off alright...but then the problem children began to find their way to the room (without their parents). The first one was a seven year old who carried with him a plastic alligator. He began by dumping out the toys, and then decided to chase his little brother around the room. I guess that was no grabbing the adults attention, so he decided to have his plastic alligator start eating the face of the person who was currently speaking on the screen. I thought someone would stop him, but no one seemed to notice.

The second child was a young teenager who burst into the room and plopped himself down in a chair. He then spent the better part of a half an hour trying to pick the lock on toy chest in the nursery. Seeing as the nursery is now my jurisdiction, I was immediately on guard. I yelled "hey!" at the kid, but since the volume had been turned up so loud to tune out alligator kid chasing younger brother, the lock-picker did not hear me. However, after sensing my evil glare which I kept locked on him for about five minutes, he gave up and left. Success!

We also had a guest with us this weekend. Bubba. Bubba is Andrew's class pet. Although it is actually a stuffed animal. Andrew has been talking about Bubba for weeks. Needless to say, he
was thrilled that Bubba was able to come home with him for the weekend. Although Bubba is not a living creature, he does come with responsibility; he has to be taken on four adventures which are to be documented and described in a class binder. Thank goodness we had Jacob's party to use on an adventure. My favorite adventure, was when Andrew wanted Bubba to watch him swim. Here is the picture of that adventure (Andrew is in the green inner tube).

It has been raining here for the past four days. Really raining. It is so wet that all the sidewalks and streets have grown mildew and are extremely dangerous if you are not careful. Today, after sending Andrew off on the bus, I start to head back to my apartment. Just as I pass the guard shack, I suddenly find myself failing in the air - and before I know it I come crashing to the ground. I lost all the nail polish on my right foot (which I had just had done yesterday!), my toe was bleeding, and my knee took a beating. Not wanting to look like an idiot (although it was a bit late at that point) I jumped up and walked home...well, hobbled back to my apartment to assess the damage. If I had seen someone do what I did, I would have laughed out loud. 

Today the boys had their very first swim lessons in Singapore. The weather was beautiful this afternoon while they were in the pool. However, I guess they have become accustomed to being warm all the time. When they got out of the pool they were freezing - or so they thought. I had to buy them each a hot chocolate to warm them up. There they were, drinking hot chocolate when it was 78 degrees outside. 

I am guessing that Tuesdays are going to become my favorite day of the week. The boys and I all had a very relaxing time at the club during their swim lessons, and then Scott met up with us after work. We had dinner by the pool and then went home. It was so much fun that we decided to make that our new weekly tradition. (We'll see if Scott will still be so excited about it after we get our bill from the club for the month.) 

2 comments:

Karen said...

I miss you like crazy! Courtney was over here to talk about wedding food (for Becca) and she told me about your blog. I have had SUCH fun reading it. What an adventure you are having. Thanks for putting up all the pictures--it makes everything seem real and not like a book or a dream. Fight on against the roaches! Love, Karen

Eva and Joey said...

You guys are brave taking on that many first graders! What a fun party! I feel like I need some explaination on the American Club. I mean I kind of get the jist of it. Is it the more you go the more money it costs? For some reason I think of Dirty Dancing and how they go to that club for the summer, maybe I'm fantasizing it a little too much!