Well, have I become lazy, or what. One post a week! How woeful. Let's get caught up. (Just so you know, as we become more settled, my life becomes a less interesting).
Friday was very exciting. Why? Well, Scott and I actually had the chance to go on a date. Since he gets every other Friday off, and the boys are both in school all day - it was the perfect recipe for some time as a couple. First activity for the day: the driving range. No, that one was not my idea. Scott had some incredible swings. The one time I managed to get the ball off the ground, it slammed into the shingles of the building below us. (Those tee-ing off are above ground level. Hence, the building below). There was a net to protect the building, but I somehow managed to slip my ball past and shatter a few of the shingles on the roof. I did the quick turn to see if anyone had noticed, but it seemed that I got away with my little accident.
The driving range took a bit longer than expected, and we barely made it in time for our movie. We saw "Jumper". It was alright, but not great. Scott had some type of pork wrapped in what tasted like a puffy pancake for his lunch (it was actually very yummy), while I downed a box of popcorn. Needless to say, I felt a bit queasy after the movie.
The next day was the County Fair at Jacob's school. This is one of the many events where the American school attempts to mimic life in the US. I must say, I was very impressed by the production. The school campus is equivalent to the size of a small college, and there were activities all over the place. It was incredible. While the boys made a beeline for the inflatables, Scott and I
made a beeline for the Outback Steakhouse barbecue stand. That afternoon I consumed the most incredible cheeseburger of my life. There was no pride that afternoon. I inhaled that burger like I was in some kind of eating competition.
The boys jumped and ran around like crazy people. I have no idea how they did it with how hot it was that day. They were both completely red-faced and sweaty about 30 minutes into the day. We finally had to take a break and head to the gym for some indoor activities. While there, Andrew had his portrait sketched. It was a good drawing, and the first thing Andrew did when he got home...was color it. It now looks like some kind of Andy Warhol painting. He carries it with
him all over the place.
Once the weekend passed, we went into total routine; each day was very similar to the one previous. I have started to learn the routine of the apartment complex in which we live. Every morning there is a lady who swims back and forth in the pool for over an hour. She starts when I am dropping Jacob off at the bus stop, and is wrapping up when I am taking Andrew. She wears a green snorkel mask and it makes me laugh every time. There are also two Asian ladies who like to wade around in the water together - but are apparently deathly afraid of frogs. Yesterday morning, as I was walking home with Andrew, they were both clutching each other, staring open-mouthed into the pool. I followed their line of sight to see a tiny frog hanging out at the bottom of the pool. It then made its way to the surface and then swam to the other side of the pool. The women, however, were too traumatized to enter the pool after they it had been tainted by the amphibian.
There is another personage who has entered into my daily routine. Every day when I go to pick up the boys from their bus stop I pass by a man. The first time I walked by him I gasped out loud. Not only is he extremely hairy, but he wears the world's smallest speedo. In fact, the speedo is so small that I thought he was nude the first time I ever saw him. The only way I can describe the image is that it looks like a giant wet rat laying out on a lawn chair. (That is how much hair is on that body). It is repulsive, yet fascinating at the same time. I was hoping it was a one time thing, but he has been pretty consistent this whole week.
Scott has been at a global conference this entire week and has been unable to get home any sooner than 8:30pm. Right now he is on a flight back from Thailand. Sorry, no roasted baby pig-type stories this go around.
Tomorrow is Jacob's birthday party. He has been very concerned about getting enough rest for his "big day". He was very cautious not to over-exert himself today. He cracks me up. One day he runs around for 4 hours straight in the hot, hot sun - and the next week he is acting like an elderly man. Wish Scott and me luck tomorrow. In eleven hours we will be responsible for 21 active first graders. Scary!
No comments:
Post a Comment