No, this is not our family's theme for Halloween. Rather, this has become our family's theme in general. Let me fill you in.
DAMAGE:
A couple of weeks ago, the boys has stated that they wanted to go to the playground. While there, Scott designed a little obstacle corse for them. One section of the obstacle corse entailed them going across the monkey bars as fast as possible. The boys kept wanting to beat their best times, so they kept doing the corse over and over again. The last time Andrew went across, I noticed that he kept looking at his hands. I asked him if something was wrong and he said, "My hands burn." He came over to show me his hands and they were COVERED in giant blisters that had torn open. Ouchies!!!! The ones on his little palms were about the size of quarters. Being unable to put a band-aid on his wounds, I had to wrap his hands in gauze. He spent the next few days running around looking like a burn victim. Once they had healed a bit, I thought I should take a picture. This is an improvement from the initial wounds.
DISEASE:
This morning was General Conference for those of us not living in the U.S. One of my favorite things to do on Conference morning is to make a huge, yummy breakfast packed full of carbs and sugars. Today's menu: crepes with strawberries and bananas and LOTS of powdered sugar. I was especially excited for this breakfast because my new OBGYN told me that I am not allowed to gain anymore weight this pregnancy and that the only bread products I am allowed to eat are dark rye. Gag me! Needless to say, I was so ready to stick it to the new doctor as I was salivating over the butter and batter and powdered sugar that I was preparing to shove in my mouth.
Andrew came into the kitchen to tell me he was full. I noticed he had only eaten half of one crepe - which was strange seeing as he normally eats two or three at a time. Anyway, I washed his plate and went back to my crepe production.
Three minutes later Jacob yells, "Andrew is throwing up!!!" And that he was! Vomit on the couch, vomit on the shag carpet, vomit on the pillows, vomit on the Andrew.... I will stop there.
I cannot even begin to tell you how nasty it is to clean up vomitted bananas; it's slimy and sluggie. That, combined with the fact I am pregnant did not make for a good combo. I don't think I have ever dry heaved so much in my life. Nothing says sexy like a big, fat woman with unbrushed teeth and hair in grotesquely over-sized PJ's retching over a smelly carpet. I don't think Scott is ever going to recover from that image.
After clean-up, my mood for crepes was quite diminished. I now have about a gallon of crepe batter sitting in my fridge.
Come to think of it, I guess I should not have ignored this sign that Andrew hung on our front door two days ago. Andrew did not want any help with his spelling, so let me translate the sign: Do not stay; someone is sick. Don't knock or come in, Andrew is sick. Wow! I am a lame mom.
On to the good stories. At his very first game this season, Jacob was awarded the "Man of the Match" trophy for his fierce goalkeeping skills. He was in the seventh heaven!
Jacob was also in a class assembly about healthy eating. Jacob chose to participate in the two musical numbers, "B is for Banana" and "Fiber". I have never seen Jacob so excited to be on stage. Why the excitement? you may (or may not) ask. Well, Jacob has become obsessed (and that is a gross understatement) with Michael Jackson. He spends all day either practicing dance moves or singing (what parts he can of) MJ's songs.
Well, for his big stage debut, Jacob moonwalked on AND off the stage for both musical numbers, and busted out a few MJ moves during the songs. (Luckily, he refrained from any major crotch grabbing or thrusts). Everyone was cracking up at his antics and we got a few comments after the performance. Jacob loved it!
6 comments:
Whoa Catherine - sounds like you've had your run of bad luck... I'm sure this week will be MUCH better!
The plates definitely deserve to be mosiaced into a table top or something... You're crafty, you could totally do it!
And I laughed outloud reading about Jacob's moonwalk! Hilarious! Dare him to moonwalk in and out of Stake Conference next week... I've really got to see it!
I hope poor little Andrew is feeling better. I laughed at your clever writing and such detail (I just can't get that image of a dry-heaving prego girl out of my head. . . :) although I'm sorry about your plates.
Oh my poor Catherine!! Nothing is worse than a vomittibg child!! I dread when those days happen!! And like you I am always the one cleaning up the huge mess!! So sorry!!....seriously, where dis the MJ thing come from???? So funny!!
Sounds like Andrew got the brunt of the damage and disease. So sad about your dishes:(
Hope the baby is doing well!
Wow... that's about all I can come up with. I totally feel for you on the vomit thing...
I really like(d) your plates!! So cute.... :(
Catherine,
Andrew's artwork and message about being sick is amazing--and heartfelt. Nobody can express thoughts and feelings like Andrew!!
Congrats to Jacob on his "Man of the Match" award, as well as his Michael Jackson dancing. (I know who he takes after!!)
All my love, Mom
Post a Comment