Friday, December 17, 2010

So, What Is It You Do All Day?

Well, it seems as if we are all finally settling into a routine...except for the fact that the boys have to switch schools AGAIN because our home is in a different school boundary and they want to go to school with all their neighborhood friends. (Wow! I just used the word "school" three times in one sentence.)

Jacob and Andrew have had a few great quotes the past couple of days. I think the best part is that they are not trying to be funny...just stating the obvious. Here are my top three from the week:

Number One:

On Monday, Andrew was chosen to say morning prayers. He asked that Scott would be safe at work, that he and Jacob would have a good day at school, and that Matthew would continue to be healthy. I guess he realized that he had yet to say anything about his mom (aka: me) and here was my portion of the blessing (the "...." are prolonged pauses):

"And please bless mom that ..... she will do good at ..... whatever it is ..... she does ..... while she is at home ..... all day." (I am guessing it is time that I explain to him that the house is not, in fact, self-cleaning; that an actual human has to clean the clothes, scrub the toilets, etc.)


Number Two:

Two nights ago we went to Temple Square to look at the lights. There was a section where we hit a flight of stairs and we needed to get Matthew's stroller to the top. There was another father in front of us who was carrying a child in one arm, and a stroller in the other. As I was helping Scott get Matthew up the stairs, Andrew offered his assistance: "I can help!"

Before Scott and I could say anything, the dad in front said, "Oh, no thanks!"

Andrew paused for a moment, then felt the need to say, "I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to my mom and..." (at which point he was cut off by his mother).

We then had a talk about good manners.



Number Three:

Tonight as I was tucking Jacob into bed he excitedly told me, "Guess what I have been doing every night!?!?! I read one chapter in the Book of Mormon!"

As my heart was beginning to swell with pride he eagerly added, "I am on Chapter One!!!" (Well, at least he's been diligent for the one day he's been reading).


On to our daily life......

Today Jacob called me outside because he saw something behind our sprinkler system. It was about 30 degrees outside, so I was not thrilled about having to venture into the back yard. I did not see anything and told Jacob that he must have imagined whatever he saw. Just as I was about to go through the door, Jacob yelled, "I just saw its nose!!! Come here!" (Now, let me specify...any mystery thing that has a NOSE is not generally something I want to see up close and personal.) I walked back to where Jacob was standing, and, sure enough, about ten seconds later a furry black nose popped up from behind the system. (At this point there was a HUGE grimace on my face). I thought the thing must be a rat (yuck) because its nose was way too large for it to be a mouse. My first plan of attack was to toss a small rock near it so it would run away. When the thing did not budge, I decided I needed to make sure I knew what was back there. I stood on top of the sprinkler system to peek down at what was hiding.

It was definitely NOT a rat....

And I definitely wanted to scream.....

BUT, I was holding Matthew....

There, below my feet, was some kind of foot-long, black creature with a tail. WHAT THE FREAK!?!?!?! I instructed Jacob not to go anywhere near whatever was back there and to leave it alone! (That was like telling a dog not to chase a tennis ball). However, I was very proud of Jacob because he did listen to me. His brother, on the other hand, confessed to throwing rocks at our backyard mystery guest.

After about an hour I remembered someone I had met at church our first Sunday. Her exact quote was, "Hi, I am so-and-so. You will smell me before you see me." (Yes, I was confused by this statement as well). She then went on to explain that they owned a mink farm across the street from our house. Bingo! That thing must be a mink! ....even though I have absolutely no clue what the heck a mink looks like.

I called around and finally found the number of our mink farming neighbors. She thanked me for calling and told me that her husband was going to come over with a trap. It took us about fifteen minutes to lure the thing into a cage and we were all (meaning Jacob and Andrew) very excited to see the mink up close. It was actually kind of cute. Just as the man was leaving with the mink he said, "Yeah. We were pelting them today and this one must have escaped!" Aaaaaa! I just sentenced a mink to its death! ... and after it had escaped and sought refuge on our property!

If any of you have friends in PETA, please do not refer them to this blog entry.

I am sure you are all saying, "This is all very interesting, but HOW IS SCOTT!?" I am very happy to report that Scott is up and running once again. His lung is looking good, but his rip is still healing and it a bit tender. Scott was planning on playing basketball this past Saturday, but luckily he decided to give himself another week to recover.

Alright, here are the latest photos from the Barlows. Not too many, but wanted to share anyway.


This is one of Matthew's most favorite toys in the world. (Yes, it is a big plastic container with a crack in it). He likes to get underneath it and crawl around with it on his head. Scott refers to it as his "force field".



Here are the boys in front of the Salt Lake Temple. Andrew had smuggled a red gatorade into the car for the drive up there...hence, the red upper lip.


I love this picture except for the fact you CAN'T SEE MATTHEW'S FACE! I wanted to make this the new cover of the blog for the holidays, but we love Matthew too much to have him left out.


We are all facing forward in this one but, we all looked a little washed out.


I don't know if I will be on here before the 25th, so I will take this chance to wish you a very Merry Christmas. We hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday!

6 comments:

lynette said...

Haha! I love your posts! They also crack me up!

And, I'd rather have a mink than a SKUNK! We have one of those electrical boxes in our backyard and this is the second skunk that has burrowed under it! I'm having some seriously violent thoughts toward Pepe Le Pew right about now.

Hope you guys have a safe, warm, & merry Christmas!

O'Bryan Family said...

You are too funny!!! I would have been freaked out too by the backyard visitor. Love your pics. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Eva and Joey said...

Catherine! I love your kids! So funny!! I love Matthew's force field! He's such a sweetie!

Jocelyn Stevens said...

Those pictures of temple square are painful for me to look at. They are so beautiful and I want to be there! Thanks for the entertainment of reading your blog. What DO we do all day???????

trishabarry said...

i love you zord. I miss you and your kids! It was SOOOOOOOO much fun seeing you for a little bit of time! you are the best!

xoxoxo
trish

Matrina Barry said...

I LOVE the pictures of the kids and I LOVE their cute comments. It was so much FUN shovelling snow with Jacob, Andrew, and you, even while the snow was still falling down. What a blast--especially with the hot cocoa afterwards-yummy!!

I LOVE all of you and miss you. I LOVE being with all of you-Fun, Fun, Fun!!

All my love, Mom