Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy Fourth 'O July

The two hours of sleep I acquired before my flight on Wednesday did not sustain me much during the 10 hours I was traveling with the boys. I recall getting off the plane in Nashville and buying something for the boys to eat. The only other memory I can recall is waking up with my chin pressed to my collar bone with drool making its way out of my mouth. At least the flight went by quickly.

The next day, David and Jan took us all ("us all" meaning me, my two boys, Samuel and his family, and Shawn and his family) to Bonfonte Gardens which has now been renamed Gilroy Gardens (if any of you are ever interested in going). It is an amazing theme park - perfect for kids. Not only are the grounds incredible, but the rides are all agriculturally themed. The cousins all had a fantastic time running around, going on all the rides together. I went on a couple with Jacob. We did the roller coaster first, and then the two of us went on my most favorite ride in the world. It is the one with the suspended swings that spins around. I had not been on that ride for almost 15 years, so I was excited to get on. I could feel the thrill through my fingertips as the swings were lifted in the air. The ride began to go, and I remembered how I used to pretend I was flying when I was a kid. The thrill, however, was short lived after about two rotations when I suddenly was struck with an extreme case of motion sickness. I seriously thought I was going to hurl about 10 seconds into the ride. My elation with childhood memories was quickly overcome with a desire to dismount as quickly as possible. One thing I did not remember as a child was the ride lasting so freaking long!

Jacob was ready for a second go around on the swings. I told him that Mommy would have to watch this time. Age: sometimes not so fun.

The day was fantastic and I was ready for the kids to crash right when they got home. Before I even know what was happening, they had put on bathing suits and were diving into the pool.I truly do not think that even I had that much energy when I was there age.

The Fourth was a blast...although semi-lacking on my part because Scott was not there with us. The day was spent out by the pool, swimming and eating. That night we went to Chevron Park to watch the fireworks. We had a spectacular view, and an entire field to ourselves. The boys all played football and it was hysterical to watch the little guys try to keep the game running after the adults had excused themselves. Again, the boys did not go to sleep until after 11pm. 

I was certain that Jacob and Andrew would sleep in on Saturday after two busy days in a row and going to sleep well beyond their bedtime. But like clock-work, I was awoken at 7am with, "Mommy, my tummy says it's hungry." I am guessing that i will not have the chance to sleep in again until my return to Singapore.

Yesterday evening we all wound up at Shawn and Mindi's house. They have a huge backyard that slopes up into a hill. The five boy cousins (all within two years of each other) spent hours roaming around the hill with any type of military paraphernalia they could find. I have a great picture of the five of them, but will have to post it later. 

Today the boys and I went to our old ward in Concord. Seriously, one of the best wards in the world! It was so great to see everyone. 

Well, I better save this and post it before "bogey" realizes I am piggy-backing on his network and kicks me off. Don't know when I will be on again.....

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Wow, Catherine. This sounds like a fun (and potentially exhausting) trip. I'm glad you get to see so much of your family. I have not yet decided when, if ever, we will make another trip (OK, so we are making the 4 hour trip to the DC temple this weekend b/c friends of ours are going through). I assume things must calm down at some point but it hasn't happened yet!